Justin Dougherty

Amazing half-court shot and a slam dunk of generosity

June 25th, 2013 | Paul K. Logsdon

If you’ve ever wondered about the power of a scholarship, here’s a true story for you.

Justin Dougherty is a 2012 graduate of Evangel University, where he studied Broadcasting. As a senior, he got the opportunity to join Springfield’s CBS affiliate, KOLR-10, and has developed a following as a warm, personable and accurate broadcaster.

And then one day he got another opportunity. On March 24, he was invited to take a half-court shot at an Oklahoma City Thunder NBA basketball game. The prize was $20,000. He made the shot.

Justin Dougherty scholarship

Justin Dougherty presents a check to fund an Evangel University scholarship to President Robert H. Spence (left) and Vice President for Institutional Advancement Jim Williams.

Last week, Justin showed up in my office. He had a check in hand and said he wanted to give a one-time scholarship to an Evangel student. He sat down and told me, “When I was a student, I received a scholarship. It meant so much — it encouraged me, and made me feel like someone had noticed me and cared about my future.”

I started to tell him how I understood, and how my father had established an Evangel scholarship after the death of my mother 15 years ago. All of my siblings and I add to it, and Evangel is able to award several scholarships out of the proceeds.

He stopped me and said, “It was your scholarship that I received.”

And then I remembered. He had come in personally to thank me, and sat in my office three years ago, just as he did now, to tell me what it meant.

I held it together while we talked, but later that night the emotions rose to the surface when I told my wife the story. How pleased my mom would have been; how sometimes we never know the difference a gift to Evangel can make; and that I’d just been given a gift in return.

That’s the story of an Evangel scholarship. Two scholarships, in fact, and the impact a commitment to helping young people can have.

From my perspective, Justin first made one spectacular half-court shot. And followed it up with a slam-dunk of generosity.

Top photo: Evangel University graduate Justin Dougherty films an EU football story for KOLR-10/KOZL sports.

Paul K. Logsdon

Paul K. Logsdon, a 1977 Evangel graduate, is director of public relations and publications for the University. Between graduating from and returning to Evangel in 1988, he worked in the contemporary Christian music business. His wife, Kay (Compton), daughter, Dana (Logsdon) Mason, and son, Derek, are all Evangel grads.

Join the celebration for Homecoming 2014

Homecoming button