Lauren Simms

The bibbiddi bobbiddi countdown

July 3rd, 2013 | Lauren Simms

Today, July 3, 2013, marks:

• The day before the Fourth of July.
  • Eight days until summer school is officially over.
  • One month until I head to Fine Arts with Evangel.
  • One month and nine days until I move.
  • … and two months since I became an Evangel graduate.

Since I graduated a year early, I still had 10 credits remaining when I walked the stage at graduation, so, behold — summer school.

These past two months, post-graduation, have been a whirlwind. As well as taking 10 credits, I’ve been working part-time. Most of my newly graduated friends have gained a full-time job, a shiny nameplate with their office title and the keys to a new apartment.

Soon, I will gain the title of “Fairy Godmother-in-Training.”

As I write this, in one month, 8 days, 21 hours, 41 minutes and 28 seconds — like my countdown states — I am moving to Orlando, Florida to complete an internship at Walt Disney World in the Bibbiddi Bobbiddi Boutique. Before I get a “big-girl job,” I decided to go after my dream — the same dream I’ve had since I was 2 years old. I get to be one of the special people who make dreams come true.

I was doing Biology homework yesterday and ended up learning a life lesson from abscisic acid (weird, I know). The text says, “A plant cannot run away from stressful situations: It either adapts to adverse conditions or dies.”

Strangely, I related that to my life. No matter how busy times can be or how difficult our trials are, God promises us that He’s in control and that He will see us through.

Mother Teresa once said, “I know God won’t give me anything I can’t handle; I just wish He didn’t trust me so much.” I understand where she is coming from, and often times I can relate, but I also know that I refuse to be one of those plants that die or give up.

Isaiah 40:31 is one of my favorite scripture verses: “But those who hope in the Lord will soar on wings like eagles.” Having hope in the Lord doesn’t mean that obstacles or trials won’t try to diminish it. Having hope in the Lord is praising him during the storms and seeking Him above all else. Having hope in the Lord is looking at your life and knowing that God has an incredible plan and a divine purpose.

I choose to be one of those plants who stand strong amid the storm — all because I am standing for the One who can calm it. My next journey is filled with promising hope and with God as my Strength, I believe He will give me the wings to fly.

P.S. I could never express my gratitude, but it’s worth a try. Thank you, Evangel, for uplifting me in my relationship with Christ, giving me an excellent education, allowing me to gro– everything. I am forever changed because of this university and all of the wonderful people in it.

See below for my new title:

Lauren Simms
Bachelor of Science in Communication Studies
Fairy Godmother-in-Training at WDW

Uncategorized

Lauren Simms

Communication Studies Major | Class of 2013

Lauren, a Communication Studies major, is a commuter student from Springfield, Missouri. She is a work-study for Marketing Enrollment, a member of a START team, and an EU Student Host. She encourages students to study hard, get involved and enjoy every minute.

2