Ian Richardson stands beside Pentecostal Evangel News Editor John Kennedy.

The other “Evangel”: My internship adventure

July 8th, 2013 | Ian Richardson

Growing up as a pastor’s kid, I had issues of Pentecostal Evangel magazine lying around my house all the time. However, as I would occasionally pick it up and read the articles inside, never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would write for it someday.

But this summer, that’s exactly what I’m doing.

For the past six weeks, I’ve been interning under the Evangel’s News Editor John Kennedy, writing news stories about AG-related events from around the country. It’s been a challenge at times, but the rewards have been worth it. I’ve picked up a lot of useful writing tips, conducted interviews with some amazing people, and – for the first time today, actually – seen my name and work published on the glossy pages of a magazine. It’s like a dream come true.

But this internship has been about more than simply completing tasks, meeting deadlines and getting bylines. John has been a lot of fun to work with, and we’ve even hung out a bit outside of work. He and a few of the other staff members have also invited me along on walks during work breaks, taken me out to their favorite eating spot, and recommended some books for me to read. The whole staff has made me feel very welcome and appreciated. And that’s been the greatest part: Meeting the people behind the magazine and seeing the heart behind what they do.

I’ve witnessed how the staff prays at the beginning and end of every meeting, including a prayer over every single issue of the Evangel that leaves the building. Seeing this has helped me to keep in mind the reason why I write anything in the first place. This shy guy has even been asked to pray in the meetings a couple times – out loud. But I guess that’s a risk you run when you intern at an AG magazine … and so far I’ve survived it just fine.

For me, just as amazing as this internship has been is how connections set up the opportunity. My work-study supervisor, Ashli O’Connell, is the one who sparked my interest in interning there and, as a former employee at the Evangel, she was able to make the initial contact to help me set it up.

My job leading to an internship is just one example of the opportunities I’ve experienced as a result of networking at Evangel. And I know it’s not just me; students of all majors are constantly forming connections here that lead to opportunities they may have never dreamed were possible.

It’s always exciting to see how God takes seemingly different threads and weaves them together to create something you never saw coming, even more so when you’re the one experiencing it happen in your own life.

So as summer eclipses its halfway point, I’m thankful for the opportunities I’ve had so far – at both Evangels. And I’m excited to see what else God has in store in the months to come.

Want more? Internships are just one way Evangel’s Communication Department helps students gain valuable experience in their fields. Check out the Communication Department page to read about other opportunities, like clubs and student media.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

2