Laura moving in

Letter to a freshman

August 1st, 2013 | Laura Prosapio

Dear Friend,

So you’re an incoming freshman about to attend Evangel for the first time, right?! I am so excited to have you on campus this fall. As EU Launch is already less than a month away, you are going to begin your Evangel journey before you know it!

Speaking from personal experience, this time for you is probably one of the most exciting — but also can be nerve-racking (especially if you are moving away from home for the first time). Last summer as I was preparing to come to Evangel as a freshman, my final month at home was filled with much preparation and expectation for what I was about to experience.

There was one thing I especially struggled with in picturing my soon-coming future at Evangel: I would be leaving my home, which not only meant leaving my comfortable bed and having a stocked refrigerator — but it also meant having to be separated for long periods of time from my family and friends who I had rarely been apart from. The week leading up to leaving, I had many tearful goodbyes with these loved ones, and I couldn’t imagine not seeing them for weeks at a time — let alone not seeing them for months.

As I finished up packing my belongings to come to college, the day finally arrived for me to ride with my parents to be dropped off at my new and unfamiliar place of residence. However, I couldn’t leave home without first having some moments of reflection in the house I had lived in up until that morning. I kissed my rabbit good-bye, embraced my older brother, and set off on the 500-mile journey from Chicagoland to Evangel.

The world I had always known slowly disappeared in our car’s rearview mirror, and in place of familiar sights, I observed the newness around me. I was headed toward an unknown future with unknown people and many unknown details. It was scary, but one year later, I credit it as one of the best decisions I have ever made.

You see, coming to college away from the familiarity of home may have been scary, but it was an opportunity for me to be completely dependent upon God and the future HE had for me apart from my comfort zone and expectations. Over the past year, I have been privileged to be part of the Evangel community — including such amazing blessings as new friendships, insightful classes and exponential growth in my relationship with God.

It has been the most beautiful and scenic adventure for me yet, and I am SO excited to see how He leads and guides you in this new adventure of your life. 

Get ready for the best days yet!

Sincerely,

Laura

P.S. Psalm 139:1-5 says:

“O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I’m far away. You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do. You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord. You go before me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head.”

Be encouraged and comforted that God is with you at every moment. He is near to you in this new life adjustment, and He has a beautiful plan for you here. Welcome to Evangel!

Want more? See the full EU Launch schedule and join the conversation on Twitter: #EULaunch13

Laura Prosapio

Psychology and English Major | Class of 2016

Laura is a junior from Chicago double-majoring in Psychology and English. She has continued her high school passion for music by participating in Evangel’s Concert Choir. Her favorite thing about attending Evangel is living and learning with a community of believers who encourage her walk with God.

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson