God's will

God’s will: ‘Yes’

August 21st, 2013 | Dr. Debbie Johnson

“What is God’s will for my life?”

As Christ followers we want answers to this question.  As a college student, one seeks an answer to help determine vocational direction.

When I was a senior at Evangel, I felt a strong urging to accept a full-time youth pastor position offered to me at my home church  in Illinois. However, I was pursuing a psychology/sociology double major, and youth pastor was not in my vocational 5-year plan (or 10-yr plan, or …).  I had plans for graduate school and short-term missions, but felt unsettled.

On a Wednesday night just before I would graduate, I attended Central Assembly of God in Springfield to hear Rich Wilkerson preach.  During the service he pointed straight at me and said, “Before you do anything else, you must go home and be obedient to God there.”  I knew God was speaking to me.  I sat stunned until the altar call when Rich said, “If you know God has spoken to you, say, ‘Yes.’ You want your life to be a constant ‘Yes’ to God.”

I said yes to God that night to that specific prompting and that specific position (and spent eight years there). That wasn’t the path I originally envisioned.  However, that path continued to lead me to graduate school and doctoral work, ordination, short-term missions, teaching and high school/college student ministry always (for 20-plus years).

That was, and still is, the best path for me. (I am so glad God knew that, when I did not.)

Sometimes God’s speaking and answers to us begin as that kind of prompting and an ‘unsettling’ in our spirit. (Sometimes we have the choice – but that is a different blog!)  When seeking an answer to the question of ‘What is God’s will?”…be sensitive to God’s voice.  Put yourself in places where you may more easily hear His words.  Respond with obedience to what you understand and keep following.  God will keep speaking.

Ten years ago when I felt compelled to leave Florida to come teach in Springfield, I kept asking the Lord, “Do you really want me to go?”  I attended the youth rally at General Council in Indianapolis where Rich Wilkerson was speaking.  During that altar call there, Rich said, “If you know God is speaking to you, say ‘yes’, because you want your life to be a constant ‘yes’ to God.”

Once again, Lord, YES! Always!

Dr. Debbie Johnson

Dr. Debbie Johnson

Dr. Debbie Johnson, professor of psychology, served on the faculty of Southeastern University and Central Bible College prior to coming to Evangel University. In addition to holding degrees from Evangel, Bradley University and Capella University, she is also an ordained minister with the Assemblies of God. Still, she says her favorite role in life is that of "Aunt Debbie" to her nieces and nephews.

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024