Thankful

Do you struggle to be thankful?

September 10th, 2013 | Shonna Crawford

I am thankful. I am thankful.

Do you ever find yourself repeating these words over and over again as if you are trying to convince yourself to be thankful. I think we all know how thankful we should be. When compared with millions, even billions, around the world, we live in total prosperity. It’s almost embarrassing really … how much we have in the U.S., and how much we totally take it for granted.

So, when my “first world” problems become so huge in my eyes that I have to chant empty words of thankfulness. It’s a RED FLAG that God is not my main focus. Today in one of my classes I read aloud from The Message this amazing passage in 1 Peter 1:1-5:

“I, Peter, am an apostle on assignment by Jesus, the Messiah, writing to exiles scattered to the four winds. Not one is missing, not one forgotten. God the Father has his eye on each of you, and has determined by the work of the Spirit to keep you obedient through the sacrifice of Jesus. May everything good from God be yours! [ A New Life ] What a God we have! And how fortunate we are to have him, this Father of our Master Jesus! Because Jesus was raised from the dead, we’ve been given a brand-new life and have everything to live for, including a future in heaven — and the future starts now! God is keeping careful watch over us and the future. The Day is coming when you’ll have it all — life healed and whole.”

The power of these words spoken to my students overwhelmed me with a new sense of genuine gratitude. Oh, to live with Paul’s perspective everyday! To see God in everything, to know God has His eye on each one of us and we are never forgotten. To know … truly believe … that God’s blessing is all we need. It seems we have so far to go to truly be content in what God has blessed us with, so lavishly and so abundantly.

Paul says here, “The day is coming when you’ll have it all — life healed and whole.” Obviously that day is our hope of heaven, but until then … the future starts now! We have everything to live for because of the sacrifice of our precious Jesus. I am thankful!

Want more? Shonna Crawford was recently published in the education journal Talking Points. Read Professor encourages critical thinking in children through reading

Shonna Crawford

Assistant Professor of Education (Literacy)

Shonna Crawford has always loved school. Between graduating from Evangel in 2000 and returning as an assistant professor of education in 2011, Crawford spent time teaching elementary school, received her Master in Reading degree and worked for the Missouri Reading Initiative.

2