Textbooks

Frameworks: Why general education at Evangel is different than what you’ll get anywhere else

September 18th, 2013 | Ian Richardson

I may be an English major, but I also love music. And history. And science. And theology. In fact, maybe it would just be easier to name what I’m not interested in.

Time and again, Evangel University has proven to be the perfect fit for my diverse interests. Why is that? It’s mostly because of Frameworks.

“Frameworks” may sound like an obscure title, but it’s just the brand name for Evangel’s general education system. Like any liberal arts college, when you come to Evangel, you get to dabble in all the subjects, not just those you’re majoring or minoring in.

Want to learn more? Just check out this really awesome 2-and-a-half minute video on Frameworks that lays it out way better than I can. Enjoy, and I’ll be here when you get back.

As a student in his third year and who (gulp) has enough credits to be classified as a senior, I guess I’ve been around the block a few times when it comes to Frameworks. It feels weird to write this, but it’s true. With the exception of two or three classes, I’m nearly done with all my Frameworks requirements.

And this is kind of sad. Because it’s been a lot of fun.

Why? Well, for starters, every general education course I’ve taken at Evangel, from Personal Finance to Effective Communication, has deepened my understanding in a practical way to make me a better-rounded person. I may be studying to be a writer, but I’d be pretty lost in the world if I didn’t know how to save for retirement or give a proper speech.

Also, these courses have caused me to ask the questions that I need to ask to build a more solid foundation for my faith. Every course, whether it’s Old Testament Literature or Astronomy, is taught from a Christian perspective, and the instructors raise the questions that every person needs to consider for themselves, such as “Why do I believe what I believe?” and “How do I live as a Christian in my chosen profession?”

Right about now you may be thinking, “This is easy for him to say. He likes a lot of subjects.” But even the classes I haven’t been so enthused about at first (like Psychology – sorry if that’s your thing) have turned into great experiences and have helped me grow in many ways. I’m glad I took them, and I’m confident you will be glad for them too.

So, if you need another reason to come to Evangel, look no farther than Frameworks. An Evangel liberal arts education is a well-rounded one that will not only allow you to explore fascinating subjects beyond your area of study, but also prepare you to meet the challenges of life with a knowledge base grounded in Christian beliefs.

And for me, as a student preparing to make a difference in today’s world, that means a lot.

Want more? Dig deeper into Evangel’s core curriculum requirements here.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

2