2013 Crosswalk Board

From children’s ministry to outreach teams: There’s a place for every student to minister through CROSSwalk

September 19th, 2013 | Hope Hamilton

What is every college student looking for when they first arrive on their campus? Friends. What are they looking for during their second year? Family. I’m here to share one way to find both — the way I found them, through CROSSwalk.

CROSSwalk is Evangel’s student ministries program, but the word program doesn’t begin to describe it, because as I previously alluded to, we are family. I use the term “we” because this year (as I’ve mentioned in my last couple of blogs) I have the great privilege of being on the CROSSwalk board. My title is “assistant director of outreach,” and basically what that entails is overseeing the 12-15 outreach team leaders whose teams are spread throughout Springfield every week making an impact in our community.

But enough about me. This is about how you my fellow students and future fellow students, can find not only friends, but family, at Evangel. It’s simple: Get involved with CROSSwalk.

The opportunities to become a part of this family are endless. Do you like kids? CROSSwalk has teams that do ministry with children through skits and Sunday School groups.

Students interested in missions can contact the  associate director of missions, Ellie Shepherd, who assists in overseeing the more than 25 student service teams going to every corner of the world this year. From Europe to Asia and on to Africa, there is a service team for everyone.

Other branches of CROSSwalk include campus events and impact teams. There are several impact teams all involving some form of drama, hip-hop or dance. These teams travel to churches throughout the United States and serve through their talents.

As for the best branch of CROSSwalk (OK, I’m a bit biased, but still …), the outreach teams vary from soup kitchen ministry, homeless outreach, teen ministries, middle school and high school after-school programs, to prayer teams and healthcare ministries. Each of these teams are led by student leaders who are passionate about making a difference in the Springfield community and are looking for other students to come alongside them in making a difference.

So if you’re looking for friends and a way to make a difference in our community, there are always openings in the various CROSSwalk ministries, and our family would love for you to join.

Get involved, make friends, join the family and make a difference.

Want more? Follow @EU CROSSwalk on Twitter.

Hope Hamilton

Advertising/Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Hope is a senior Advertising/Public Relations major with a minor in Nonprofit Business and Social Enterprise. She is from Vero Beach, Florida, and loves people, the outdoors, music, worship and missions. Hope is currently the assistant director of outreach for Evangel's CROSSwalk student ministries organization.

Varsity athletics at Evangel

athletics