Christina Jeter

College advice from a fifth-year senior

October 3rd, 2013 | Christina Jeter

Five years. Wow.

As a fifth-year senior at Evangel, I have experienced a lot of change. I have watched friends graduate, professors retire and a constant flow of new faces enter my life.

At the beginning of the semester, our main theatre teacher Mr. Smith retired. The news came as a shock. At first, none of us knew how to react. I felt it was my responsibility as an upperclassman to step into a leadership role and comfort my underclassmen.

As a department, we were faced with two choices. We could have allowed this to tear us apart or bring us closer together. We chose the latter. Instead of grieving separately, we grieved together. We set aside time to pray. We set aside time to hang out as a family.

At Evangel, you’ll have opportunities to form support groups and friendships which will help you wade the more difficult waters of “real life.” You’ll develop lifelong friendships which will follow you long after your Evangel career.

If I could only give one piece of advice about college, I would warn against over-committing yourself.

Evangel offers a wide range of clubs, organizations and activities. While I think it is important to involve yourself in some of these activities, I think it equally important not to involve yourself in all or even a majority of these activities at once. Be selective. Choose activities and commitments wisely. You have four or five years to explore clubs and organizations. You have four or five years to find your niche.

College is a giant balancing act between studying, working, and having fun. If the balancing act becomes too great, major stress can lead to a bad college experience. My advice? Choose your commitments wisely and don’t try to dabble in everything at once. You’ve got plenty of time to explore all the things Evangel has to offer.

Want more? Check out the many clubs and organizations you’ll have the chance to join here at Evangel.

Christina Jeter

English and Theatre Major | Class of 2013

Christina is a missionary kid from Spain but considers Waxahachie, Texas her hometown. She is a commuter student double majoring in English and Theater. She balances her nerdy past times and shows with outdoor activities like soccer and bike riding.

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024