book

Studying psychology from a Christian perspective

October 3rd, 2013 | Laura Prosapio

School has been in session for about a month, and I am already struck with excitement with the courses I’m able to take this year. As a second-year Psychology student pursuing counseling, I am beginning to embark on higher-level classes that not only pique my interest, but also whet my appetite for the calling I feel God has placed on my heart.

One of my favorite courses this semester is “Theories & Techniques of Counseling” with Mrs. Christine Arnzen. Even though it’s an early-in-the-morning class, I find myself becoming energetic as I learn the wealth of information she has to teach. Right now, we are studying different therapy methods, and I feel that with each session, my dream of counseling is becoming more and more accessible to me.

Christine Arnzen

Mrs. Christine Arnzen

One particular discussion that especially impacted me was during one of the first class sessions when the topic of the lecture was about integrating Christianity with psychology. Mrs. Arnzen explained to us that in the field of psychology, there are many shifting ideas and “truths.” However, when a Christian pursues counseling, truth comes not from the ever-changing ideas of the world; truth is rooted in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Counselors are called to be comforters to others, just as Christ has comforted us, so that we can show others even a fraction of the comfort Christ has to offer them, too. Just as Christ reached out to the hurting in society, so must counselors have the driving motivation to be Christlike to those who are hurting.

Conversations such as these help me to realize that going into a “professional career” does not mean being devoid of ministry. For, in every calling, God allows us to be ministers to those around us. He has gifted us with certain talents and passions in order to “be Jesus” to those around us, no matter what career He opens the door for us to enter. I’m thankful that Evangel recognizes the many facets of ministry possible for its students and encourages us to be equipped by God so that we can give Him glory wherever He leads us.

Want more? Read more about the Behavioral Sciences Department at Evangel University.

Laura Prosapio

Psychology and English Major | Class of 2016

Laura is a junior from Chicago double-majoring in Psychology and English. She has continued her high school passion for music by participating in Evangel’s Concert Choir. Her favorite thing about attending Evangel is living and learning with a community of believers who encourage her walk with God.

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson