Fred and Carl

The Evangel Phrase Book: Your key to speaking “Evangel-ese”

October 14th, 2013 | Ian Richardson

I grew up an Assemblies of God pastor’s kid, and when I first came to Evangel I was extremely relieved to find that I fit right into the culture here. I found that it’s a place where you won’t be misunderstood if you make references to Fine Arts, church camp or Royal Rangers, a place where you won’t get a funny look if you start quoting Veggie Tales, Bibleman or Adventures in Odyssey.

But I also soon found that Evangel is a place with a unique set of words and phrases that you probably won’t hear on any other college campus. In fact, if you’re here for the first time, you might get a little confused by the lingo. But never fear – I’ve compiled a brief phrase book to help you navigate the language of “Evangel-ese.” The following are some terms you might find it handy to know:

1. PSpence

10

PSpence

An affectionate title developed by students to refer to the legendary Evangel President Dr. Robert Spence, who is currently in his 40th and final year at the head of the university. It has yet to be seen whether President-Elect Dr. Carol Taylor will earn a similar nickname. I guess only time will tell.

2. The Food Dude

Food Dude

The Food Dude

One of the many titles bestowed upon food services director Todd Lanning, who is one of the most visible and beloved personalities on campus. If you eat, you probably won’t go very long without meeting this guy.

3. Carl the Clocktower and Fred the Firehydrant

Evangel’s trademark clock tower, nicknamed Carl by students, stands stoically in the middle of the campus lawn, and in his shadow squats a little green-and-red fire hydrant we call Fred. When Carl isn’t busy chiming on the hour and Fred isn’t occupied tripping up students who aren’t watching where they’re going, they both bide their time as avid Twitter users. You can follow Carl @ClocktowerCarl and Fred @firehydrantfred.

4. Zeke

The official name of the Evangel Crusader mascot. This guy is the champion of school spirit, whether he’s revving up the crowd at sporting events or showing up on birthday cards sent out to students on their 21st birthdays.

5. Fishbowl

The area located in between the two sets of doors at each entrance to the residence halls. Since the second door in each residence hall can be entered by ID card access only, students can find themselves getting “caught in the fishbowl” while visiting another hall or coming in after curfew.

Well, there you have it. A few quick words to get you started when you find yourself having to converse with an Evangel student. Of course, there are a ton more I couldn’t fit in – so I guess you’ll just have to come and experience the place for yourself. Pretty soon I bet you’ll be speaking the language like a pro too.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

2