blind but now I see

Lessons learned on Make a Difference Day 2013

October 22nd, 2013 | Laura Prosapio

Each year in October, Evangel students have the opportunity to participate in a nationwide event called Make a Difference Day. Hundreds of students at Evangel sign up to help with different needs that are present in our community — from raking trails to cleaning trash to stuffing envelopes at local nonprofit centers. The experience of serving alongside fellow Evangel students allows us to not only see the needs in the Springfield area, but also how we can work together to meet these needs.

During the outreach last month, I had the privilege of volunteering at the Assemblies of God Center for the Blind. I was touched to see the many efforts of this organization to help give spiritual eyes to thousands of individuals across the country who cannot see physically through sending them the Bible in the form of audio CDs and tapes, Braille literature, or large-print newsletters. The two employees we served under were legally blind, and it was incredible to see how nothing could stop their passion for reaching others. And boy, did they have passion.

Evangel students at Center for the Blind

The Evangel University team that served the Center for the Blind on Make a Difference Day 2013.

When I was dusting desks in one of the offices, my eyes fixed on a wall hanging of the old hymn “Amazing Grace.” As I drew near to read what it said, the last line shook me as I saw it written in Braille.

For a moment, I questioned how individuals who have never had physical vision could read the lines,”Was blind, but now I see” and grasp it to its fullest.

However, the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart that they lack nothing in spiritual sight. In fact, these individuals probably have even more spiritual sight than me — a sighted person who so frequently confuses my physical eyes for my spiritual ones.

It’s easy to trust God for only what we can see with our physical eyes, but He calls us to trust Him whether or not we can physically see where He is leading us. I pray that God allows me to notice any spiritual blindness in my life, and that my eyes will see with renewed faith — even if that means believing Him when I cannot see what He is doing.

I’m thankful God can speak to our hearts at any moment, and that He used my experience at Make a Difference Day to do so.

Want more? See our photo album from Make a Difference Day 2013 on Facebook.

Laura Prosapio

Psychology Major | Class of 2015

Laura is a junior from Chicago majoring in Psychology. She has continued her high school passion for music by participating in Evangel’s Concert Choir. Her favorite thing about attending Evangel is living and learning with a community of believers who encourage her walk with God.

Details and schedule for 2014 commencement events

Grad_2

“Genesis and Genetics” conference to discuss current faith-science issues

Chemistry

2