dorm room

The five best things about having a roommate

October 22nd, 2013 | Ian Richardson

Growing up, I always had my own room. The space was completely mine to do with as I pleased, and I enjoyed freedom, control and privacy.

Then I came to college, and everything changed: My room turned into our room.

One of the main adjustments freshmen have to make each year is learning to share a room with someone else. And although it may seem easy to list the potential inconveniences to living in such a small space with another person, over the past five semesters I’ve realized that there are just as many – if not more – advantages to having a roommate.

5. Your roommate is your first friend.

I knew next to nobody when I first stepped on campus a few years ago. But after a few hours, I knew I had a friend in my roommate, and we relied on each other quite a bit for companionship in the weeks that followed as we spent hours of fun wandering around Wal-Mart, watching movies together and re-arranging our room at least half a dozen times.

4. You don’t have to clean your room by yourself.

Every two weeks, something rolls around called “room inspections,” in which you have to make sure your room is in presentable shape for your resident assistant to look over. While you may think that with two people you have the potential to make twice the mess (and you’d be right), you also have twice the cleaning power. It’s amazing how quickly time flies when you’re not vacuuming or wiping mirrors all by yourself.

3. You can share.

In my current room, the microwave is mine, but my roommate has the flat-screen TV and Netflix subscription. The other day I needed a can opener, and he had one I could borrow. This is another one of the great things about living with someone else – you don’t have to provide everything for the room.

2. Every night is a sleepover.

OK, so you’ll want to study a few nights of the week – probably. But once you find things you and your roommate like to do together, every night has the potential to be a sleepover. Movies, video games, late-night Taco Bell runs – the possibilities are endless.

1. They’re your prayer partner.

When you’re living with someone else, that person gets to see a side of you that probably no one else on campus does, for better or for worse. As you get to know each other over time, you’ll find that your roommate will become one of the best people on campus to pray with because you have such a unique understanding of each other.

So, if you’re still a bit wary about the whole roommate thing, I can understand. It will take some getting used to. But the advantages are numerous, and the experiences you will have with your roommate will likely be ones you will fondly remember for years to come. I’m thankful I took the time to give the adjustment a chance, and I think you will be, too.

Want more? Read all about life in the residence halls at Evangel.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

Varsity athletics at Evangel

athletics