Directors chair

Theatre: Life behind the scenes

October 31st, 2013 | Christina Jeter

For my senior practicum as a Theatre major, I am student directing the play Proof by David Auburn.

I am responsible for every aspect of this production including set design, lighting, audio, public relations, costuming and directing the actors. The production has forced me to use all of the theatre skills I have gained throughout my years at Evangel.

Bringing this project to fruition is both a growing experience and an exciting challenge. As a director, I have learned the importance of reading people. I have moved 26 times. My “continuous drifting” has taught me to read people. If I’m only in a place for a few years, I need the ability to read people. I need to know who I can trust and who I can’t in a short amount of time.

Proof

Evangel University presents Proof by David Auburn November 15, 16 and 17 at 7 p.m. The production is directed by senior Christina Jeter.

A director needs to be able to read her actors — to know how they’re feeling, to know their needs and wants — in order to push them to the next level. The more a director invests in each individual actor, the more she invests into the characters, and the more the story grows.

I enjoy directing. I enjoy watching the story unfold. Directing is a collaborative effort to bring text to life. As my vision merges with the actors’ and stage managers’ visions, we begin to see a dynamic production come alive. If I had attended a larger university, I would not have had the opportunity to direct an entire production. I am extremely thankful to Evangel University for giving me this opportunity.

College productions are a great way of bringing the student body together and one of my favorite aspects of Evangel. If you love drama, don’t worry. Theatre is not just for the theatre majors. Evangel University has a theatre department which encourages involvement from all majors.

This is one of my favorite plays of all time, and I hope to see you there!

Want more? This production will take place on November 14, 15 and 16 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $7 for general admission and $5 for students. For more information and tickets call 417-865-2815 ext. 8640 or purchase online.

Christina Jeter

English and Theatre Major | Class of 2013

Christina is a missionary kid from Spain but considers Waxahachie, Texas her hometown. She is a commuter student double majoring in English and Theater. She balances her nerdy past times and shows with outdoor activities like soccer and bike riding.

Celebrating 100 years, impacting 100 more

100

Find your schedule for EU Launch 2014

IgNight_studentsonLawn