Business-signage

Why I chose to be in the Nonprofit Business and Social Enterprise program

November 20th, 2013 | Hope Hamilton

Going into my senior year at Evangel, I was faced with a dilemma: I needed a minor, and I needed one that would equip me to change the world.

I am an Advertising and Public Relations major going into nonprofit fundraising, and as I searched course and program descriptions throughout the school I was having trouble finding a minor that would enable me to live out everything I am passionate about.

As I sat in a meeting with my adviser shuffling through piles of papers and debating how to fix my life, my adviser made a suggestion that would change the course of my Evangel career. She said, “Have you considered a Nonprofit Business and Social Enterprise minor?”

It stopped me in my tracks and hit me upside the head at the same time — it was too perfect.

Now having spent some time in the Nonprofit Business and Social Enterprise program, I can honestly say that moment in the office choosing my minor was a divine moment that led to the best choice I’ve made during my time at Evangel. I love everything about this program, and as a minor in nonprofit business, I learn new, valuable and applicable information every day.

Evangel’s Nonprofit Business and Social Enterprise program is still relatively new (the first EU Nonprofit Business majors will graduate in May), one of very few in existence and one of the fastest growing programs in the Business Department.

The program coordinator Evelyn Lewis is one of my favorite things about the program. Mrs. Lewis teaches four of the classes in the program, and brings her more than 23 years of field experience in nonprofit business into the classroom with hands-on practical examples and stories for every textbook concept. Mrs. Lewis has been on the board of several nonprofits worldwide, including organizations in China and the Philippines as well as the United States, and she teaches using her understanding on international nonprofit work.

I get to take courses such as Nonprofit Financial Management which teaches the practicality of reading and writing financial documents specific to nonprofits, Volunteer Engagement and Resource Management, Nonprofit Governance and Law, Nonprofit Marketing & Promotion, and Introduction to Social Enterprise.

My favorite course that I’ve taken in the program thus far was Philanthropy: Theory and Practice, which has taught me all things about nonprofit fundraising and grant writing. I can honestly say that class was the only time anyone has handed me a $100 bill and set me free. Sound nice? It was.

I don’t have a doubt in my mind that the things I am learning are things I will use every day post-graduation. The program is geared toward anyone who has the desire to work for or start nonprofit organizations or work within any area of social enterprise. Whereas personally I’m a minor in the program because I want to do nonprofit fundraising; I have friends in the program who are going into missions, starting nonprofits, or work for organizations such as Convoy of Hope or Compassion International.

The moral of this story is twofold:  First, if you’re stressed about where to go school and what to choose as your major or minor, trust God and His ability to guide you to exactly where you need to be. Second, if you’re interested in nonprofit business from whatever angle, check out the Vetter Center for Social Enterprise at Evangel, because it is equipping world changers every day.

Want more? Watch the EU Video Blog from the recent dedication of the Vetter Center for Social Enterprise at Evangel University.

Hope Hamilton

Advertising/Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Hope is a senior Advertising/Public Relations major with a minor in Nonprofit Business and Social Enterprise. She is from Vero Beach, Florida, and loves people, the outdoors, music, worship and missions. Hope is currently the assistant director of outreach for Evangel's CROSSwalk student ministries organization.

Varsity athletics at Evangel

athletics