sophomore class president

4 tips for getting involved at Evangel

November 25th, 2013 | Hannah Beers

As I sit here writing this, mentally calculating all the things I have to do before tomorrow comes, I can’t help but be amazed. How did I get here? I’m so honored to be able to be so involved in this wonderful community I am a part of. Evangel is home.

However, coming in as a freshman, it seemed that I would never be able to conquer the task of speaking to someone I didn’t know. Don’t get me wrong. I had been very involved in my high school, but there were 57 students in my graduating class. Now, here I am, involved in (too many) organizations here at EU, and it wasn’t as hard as it sounds. So, here are four ways to get involved once you get here:

1. Opportunity looks a lot like hard work.

You’re not too good for anything. Isn’t there some saying about how a leader is a servant? That’s what you’ll be: a servant. You’re not going to get anywhere without working for it. But, that’s not something to be leery of. Get excited! You’re going to earn what you get. Work is good.

2. Networking is key.

Let’s face it. You might be the most outgoing person on the planet or someone who can barely utter a word in public, but you’re going to have to overlook whatever your weakness is and get out there. It’s not too scary. Everyone is in the same boat as you, you know. Everyone was a scared freshman once. Make a goal. Meet two new people every week. Before you know it, you’ll have connections, and dare I say, friends!

3. Cast a vision.

What do you want? College is one of the most exciting times of your life, but it’s not the time to just blow everything off. At least, that’s the way I see it. Make a strategy. That doesn’t mean you can’t be involved in a variety of things, but decide what’s going to benefit you.

4. Have fun!

As serious as this sounds, it’s really all about trial and error. This is your time. Enjoy it. It’s important to know when to be a carefree college kid and an aspiring young adult. Don’t worry too much.

There you have it: success in 4 simple steps!

P.S. Invest in a planner.

Want more? Check out the wide variety of clubs and organizations you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in here at Evangel.

Hannah Beers

Hannah Beers is a sophomore Advertising/PR major from Steelville, Missouri, a town she says is "literally smaller than Evangel." As sophomore class president, College Republican president, a member of Excalibur yearbook staff, a photographer and founder of the Insecurely Movement, she's almost too busy to write this blog. But she loves sharing about Evangel, and she's not very good at saying no, so she's sharing the journey here.

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024