Floor friends

Evangel: Where friends become family and dorms become home

December 3rd, 2013 | Laura Prosapio

When I moved into Walther Hall during Launch Week last year, I hoped and prayed that somehow my dorm building would eventually feel like home. However, my doubts escalated when I opened up the door to my new empty room with sterile, white walls and began to move in my belongings with the help of my family.

It was scary to begin living in a “new space” that was unfamiliar, but I made up my mind that I would try to make it a little like home. I tried to decorate my room with things that are familiar to me — such as photographs of family and friends, special posters, and even my record player. As I surrounded myself with items that made me feel comfortable, my sterile room began to feel like the little home I was seeking after.

dorm room

With a few personal touches, a dorm room quickly become home.

I was also scared to meet the people who would be living with me in my new home. I knew we all came from different places, and I was afraid that I wouldn’t find anything in common with girls on my floor. Thankfully, my worries melted away during the first few days as I realized that the other freshman girls were going through the same uncertainties and that the older girls knew what we were all feeling. We bonded together during those uncertain times, and in those moments, we became like a family.

It’s funny — unconsciously, I have started calling Walther Hall “home.” When I’m out and about during the school year, I’m always excited to go home to my cozy room with white Christmas lights, surrounded by my sweet family of other girls on Walther 2nd North and in the hall who truly make our dorm building a home.

Going away to school can be scary, especially knowing that you will be heading to a place with a new environment, new classes, and new faces all around you. However, the residence halls at Evangel are welcoming environments to be in during such an unfamiliar time. As you open your heart to finding another “home” — not to replace the home you’re from, but rather to expand your idea of home — you will find yourself surrounded by people you will soon be able to call “family.”

Want more? Read up on residence life at Evangel.

Laura Prosapio

Psychology Major | Class of 2015

Laura is a junior from Chicago majoring in Psychology. She has continued her high school passion for music by participating in Evangel’s Concert Choir. Her favorite thing about attending Evangel is living and learning with a community of believers who encourage her walk with God.

Varsity athletics at Evangel

athletics