Hannah and Reagan

A roomie Q-and-A

December 5th, 2013 | Hannah Beers

So, you’re coming to EU and have to accomplish something very different: having a roommate.

It wasn’t long ago I was in your shoes. And I was terrified. But then I met Reagan, who first became my roommate … and then became my friend. We’re now in our second year of living together and making it work. Instead of telling you all about Reagan and me, I thought we could answer some questions and let you know all about what it’s like living with a roommate.

What’s the first thing you thought when you met your roommate? Be honest!

Raegan: The first thing I thought was, “Wow, we come from very different worlds, I wonder what this is going to be like.”

Hannah: How in the world am I going to live with a complete stranger?

Were you instantly friends? Sometimes, you hear that happens and sometimes you hear horror stories.

Raegan: We were instantly friends for sure but definitely not great friends. We got along well but were rather cordial at first. Once we began talking about everything we began to understand each other better and became closer.

Hannah: We were friends, but we were roommates first. Now, Raegan is one of my most treasured friends, but we know that our roommate relationship is what came first. That’s what’s kept us together.

What’s the number one thing that drives you crazy about your roommate?

Raegan: Honestly, my roommate does not really drive me crazy. There are moments when our priorities of cleanliness are not equal but it usually does not drive me crazy.

Hannah: Raegan is probably the most wonderful roomie on the planet. If anything drives me crazy, it’s myself and my lack of inspiration to clean.

What’s the biggest piece of advice you would give to someone worried about having a roommate?

Raegan: Be flexible! As long as you are flexible, you will be able to handle many different situations. And definitely communicate. Communication is definitely key when rooming with someone. The only times I ever really have any issues with my room mate is when we are not communicating about something or our expectations are totally different for a situation. As long as you are talking and trying to understand each other, your experience can be awesome.

Hannah: First, be practical! Understand that the other person is in the same situation as you. Secondly, it’s ok to be by yourself sometimes and to give each other some free time. You don’t have to be together every minute. Lastly, talk. Talk about your day. Talk about the shower drain. Talk about dinner in the Caf. If you don’t talk, you miss out on one of the most incredible relationships you’ll ever experience.

Hannah Beers

Hannah Beers is a sophomore Advertising/PR major from Steelville, Missouri, a town she says is "literally smaller than Evangel." As sophomore class president, College Republican president, a member of Excalibur yearbook staff, a photographer and founder of the Insecurely Movement, she's almost too busy to write this blog. But she loves sharing about Evangel, and she's not very good at saying no, so she's sharing the journey here.

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024