high school senior

Letter to a high school senior

January 22nd, 2014 | Laura Prosapio

You’re beginning your final semester of high school. Can you believe it?! You probably had family and friends older than you warn you that high school would fly by, to which you replied, “No way! It feels like it’s taking forever.” This is exactly how I replied when I was in the midst of high school with seemingly endless papers, homework, exams, and standardized tests.

However, now that I look back at that time, I realize that it did indeed happen in the blink of an eye, and I cherish my high school memories so much — especially my final semester.

I want to encourage you that in the midst of the stress, busyness, boredom and possible nervousness for the next step, that it’s okay to make some room for feeling sentimental. In fact, I suggest it. I have always been the kind of person to be excited for the “next step” in life.

In elementary school, I couldn’t wait until I graduated 8th grade. In 8th grade, I was ecstatic to finally enter high school. By the time I reached high school, it didn’t take long for me to be aching for the college years. While it’s good to be excited for the future, I realized during my last semester of high school that I wasn’t truly living where I was because of my insistence on being at the next stage in my life. It was then that I made the decision to appreciate all my “final” high school memories, knowing that by rushing forward to the next step, I would be losing the opportunity to enjoy the present.

This decision opened my eyes to the moments that still awaited me even though I was “on my way out.” I decided to bring my camera to school to capture different memories. Also, I resolved to enjoy the formalities of such events as senior awards night and my graduation ceremony, recognizing that those opportunities were a chance to sit back and enjoy the rewards of everything I had worked so hard to complete during the past three and a half years.

During this final semester of high school before you walk across the stage and flip your graduation tassel to the other side of your hat, I encourage you to cherish each moment. Enjoy the time with your friends, knowing that the bonds you make now will carry you into the future when you’re apart at different schools. Glean everything you can from your teachers in your classes; your diligence in classes now will pave the way for a good work ethic in college.

Most of all, ask God for opportunities to be a light to those in your school during the final months there. As you pray to honor Him, He will help you to impact others. You never know who He will touch through you, and some of your greatest moments of ministry in high school can still be ahead.

Enjoy this season in the journey of your life. It truly is a special one.

Laura Prosapio

Psychology Major | Class of 2015

Laura is a junior from Chicago majoring in Psychology. She has continued her high school passion for music by participating in Evangel’s Concert Choir. Her favorite thing about attending Evangel is living and learning with a community of believers who encourage her walk with God.

Varsity athletics at Evangel

athletics