Scott Hall

Scott Hall: Enter the brotherhood

January 22nd, 2014 | Ian Richardson

I’d never stepped foot inside Scott Hall prior to move-in day my freshman year, but looking back at the experiences I’ve had and relationships I’ve formed here since then, I don’t think I could have chosen a better place to live. Scott Hall has truly become my home away from home.

What’s so great about Scott? Well, for starters, it’s a great place to be geographically. Proximity to the Barnett Fine Arts building adds a bonus for music, art and theatre students, and Scott is also closer to the Chapel and the dining hall (I’m especially OK with that last one) than most of the other halls.

When it comes to hall stereotypes, people may refer to Scott as the “studious” hall or the “nerdy” hall, but trust me; we do a lot more here than read books and quote Star Wars to each other. In fact, throughout the year there are all sorts of great activities that have become traditions here in Scott. Here are a few of them:

1. The Southside Shindig. On one night every fall semester, all of the residence halls on the south side of campus (Scott, Walther and Spence) gather for one big party. There’s great food, live music and all sorts of fun outdoor games.
  2. The Scott Hall Barbecue. On this night, the hungry residents of Scott all gather for a late-night snack of grilled burgers, chips and bottomless root beer. For some reason, burgers taste way better when it’s almost midnight.
  3. Hall Chapels. Held in the basement, these alternate Chapel services are a unique experience where you get to worship alongside the guys who you do life with every day.
  4. The Scott Hall Dodge Ball Tournament. This is the ultimate test of floor patriotism (and one of my personal favorite events). Once a semester, we reserve the gym floor at the Mabee Fitness Center for a late-night of dodge ball extravaganza. Each floor competes as a team to see who will take home the trophy.

Along with all-hall events like these, each floor has its own personality and set of fun activities that it does every year. But even though Scott has six unique floors, the hall as a whole really feels like a unified community — a brotherhood.

Whether you’re spending quality time with other Scott guys at an all-hall event, chatting with our cool residence director Jonathan Webb, or hearing the assistant at the front desk say “welcome home” as you walk in the front door, there’s an almost tangible bond that surrounds this hall and the activities that take place inside. It’s the feeling of 200-plus guys coming together from all around the globe and living life together as the family of God.

Scott Hall is a great place to live — much better than I can do it justice in a single blog post. But you don’t have to take my word for it. Come check us out. Before you know it, you’ll find yourself a part of the brotherhood, too.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

Join the celebration for Homecoming 2014

Homecoming button