snow, trees, clocktower

Warm thoughts for cold days

January 23rd, 2014 | Shonna Crawford

It’s been unusually chilly on our campus this winter. These icy cold temperatures make me want to think warm thoughts. I need to remind myself that the warm and sticky summer will be back again soon. One of those warm summer memories is a wedding this past summer …

My son and daughter were part of an amazing “Evangel” wedding party last July. Two of our Education majors were married in small-town Missouri and my family had the honor of being part of the celebration.

We prepared. We bought the flower girl dress. We had our son measured for his tux. We were ready to go, the picture of all ceremonial wedded cuteness full-on! Our daughter and son walked down the aisle hand-in-hand right on cue (miraculously) and I bottled that warm moment up in my mind for a cold day like today.

As the ceremony began my focus shifted to the bride and groom (as it should, but if ever you become a momma you’ll understand my preoccupation with my own two children wearing clean dressy clothes all day long … I just wanted to sit and stare). As part of the ceremony, an Evangel grad stood at the grand piano and sang Cornerstone (2012) by Hillsong.

Christ Alone
Cornerstone
Weak made strong
In the savior’s love
Through the storm
He is Lord
Lord of All

As the song moved into this chorus I became completely enamored with the bride. She’s a former student I have the privilege of spending tons of time with and have grown to love like my own family. She stood facing her husband, holding his hands with her head lifted to heaven, eyes closed, singing to her Savior. It was as if the only ones in the sanctuary were her and Jesus.

What a beautiful bride. What a picture of what God wants for us as women, as wives, as daughters, as Christ-followers. To be in the biggest moments of our lives, yet able to shut out everything around us just to be with Jesus, in total admiration, letting Him love us completely. Not looking to our husband or our friends or our parents, but only to Jesus, our cornerstone.

For years and years to come I pray many blessings on this couple. What an amazing example they are to my children. There is no doubt storms will come for them, just like they do for all of us, but like the old hymn reminds us:

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly trust in Jesus name

When darkness seems to hide His face
I rest on His unchanging grace
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil

There is no doubt with Christ as the cornerstone this couple is off to a great start.

So, on this cold day just think back to a warm memory. And, take time to reflect on this question — is your hope built on nothing less than Jesus? My prayer is that you carry with you an image of this precious bride showing all of us what it means to truly trust in our cornerstone, our hope, our anchor, Jesus Christ.

Shonna Crawford

Assistant Professor of Education (Literacy)

Shonna Crawford has always loved school. Between graduating from Evangel in 2000 and returning as an assistant professor of education in 2011, Crawford spent time teaching elementary school, received her Master in Reading degree and worked for the Missouri Reading Initiative.

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024