Honors floor

Scott First South: Honors floor experience

January 31st, 2014 | Sean White

Of all the dorms and all the floors in all of Evangel, I walked onto Scott First South my freshman year. This place has become just as much a home to me as the place where I grew up. This is where I have late night conversations with my roommate. Where friends gather and watch movies until two in the morning. Where we relax, share life, and discuss everything from video games to theology.

Scott First South, or S1S as we call it, is the men’s honors floor at Evangel. All floors abbreviate their hall name, floor level and side of the building into a three-letter acronym. In addition to this, some floors have a nickname. My floor is called The Digs. Evangel has two honors floors, one in Scott Hall and one in Spence Hall. The honors floors are given extra privileges on campus, including no curfew, extra open dorm hours, and added recognition upon graduation. To live on the honors floor, students are required to hold a minimum GPA of 3.5 and have eight hours of community service per semester.

Every floor has special traditions and events that they do throughout the semester. We do all the things that floors normally do at Evangel like devotions, floor events, and brother-sister floor events. As one of our traditions, S1S always does a series of events over Memorial Day weekend to kick off another school year. In addition to this, we have several events throughout the semester, including an all-night movie marathon in the basement of our dorm.

The honors floor is great place to focus on studies while also having a close community of guys around to grow and learn with. The floor has a very calm atmosphere. Now it’s not a graveyard, but at the time of day when students instinctively begin to study, we have enough quiet to do so without the shouts of Call of Duty or The Walking Dead echoing down the floor.

While calm, my floor is very close. Every member of the floor has a sense of belonging as we live in close community with one another. If I ever have a problem I know that all of the guys on my floor can be trusted to pray for and support me through it. They are a group of guys who I know care for each other like brothers.

Honestly, I love my floor. They are an incredible group of guys and I look forward to coming back to them every day after classes and meetings. I would not trade my floor for any other. I hope that as you consider Evangel and eventually come here, you will connect with your floor as much as I have with mine.

Want more? See photos of Scott Hall.

Sean White

Sean White, an Evangel junior, is from Long Island, New York. As a Journalism major with minors in Photography and Intercultural Studies, he has a passion for telling stories and using that gift to advance missions efforts around the world.

2