Springfield weather

Minor in meteorology? Making sense of Evangel’s manic weather

February 21st, 2014 | Ian Richardson

It’s 9 a.m., and I’m stepping outside of Scott Hall with golden beams of sunshine gently kissing my arms. It’s a mild 65 degrees, I’m in short sleeves and all is right with the world.

Three hours later, I walk out of Trask Hall under a cloud-covered sky. The breeze picks up and I bury my hands in my pockets for warmth. It’s down to a blustery 50, and I’m thinking a jacket would sure be nice as I race across the quad to lunch.

It’s 12:30 now and the rain has started. It’s mostly sprinkles as I walk back to Scott from the dining hall, but 20 minutes later, as I trek back across campus to my 1 o’clock class, it’s pouring. And I can feel the temperature dropping quickly.

Now the time is 2 p.m., I’m headed to Riggs Hall for work, and—is that snow? Sure enough, now I’m walking through a winter wonderland. What a day.

After a couple hours in the office, it’s 4 p.m. and I’m headed back to Scott Hall. The sun is out, the snow is melting and I shake my head and smile.

It’s just another day in Springfield, Missouri.

The old joke around here is if you don’t like the weather, all you have to do is wait 15 minutes and it’ll change. Yes, this is an exaggeration — but only sort of. In fact, according to a study done by the National Weather Service, Springfield has the most varied weather in the United States. A month ago we went from 70 degrees on a Sunday to the mid-teens on Monday. And last year it snowed as I was moving out for summer break.

As a native Midwesterner, I’m used to bipolar weather conditions, yet at times the Springfield climate rattles even my hardy Iowan disposition. Over the past couple years I’ve learned to put up with — and almost learn to enjoy — the crazy (yet strangely loveable) qualities of Springfield’s weather, and I’d like to offer you a few tips to help you embrace the ever-changing conditions:

• Dress in layers.

Sometimes cold mornings give way to hot days (or vice versa), so you may find that what you put on before you left your dorm is a bit too heavy (or light) on your way to the dining hall.

• Bring an umbrella.

I personally made the mistake of coming to college without an umbrella. Trust me, sloshing across campus and showing up soggy to class isn’t exactly what I’d call a good time.

• Prepare your hair for the Evangel wind tunnel.

The people who constructed our campus somehow planned the layout of buildings perfectly so as to ensure that no matter what direction you’re walking, the wind is blowing at you from the north, south, east and west. If you want your hair to look anything like what it did before you left your dorm, put on a hat, use lots of gel or shave it off.

• Look outside and check the temperature before leaving your dorm.

In a place where winter, spring, summer and fall can all strike in a 24-hour period, there’s not necessarily a set seasonal wardrobe. Many days have I walked outside, oblivious to the weather, only to run back inside realizing I needed a different outfit.

While the weather here is anything but predictable, it’s just one more part of what makes Springfield an oddly endearing place to live. So if your thing is sun, rain, snow or anything in between, you’re sure to find it here.

Just probably not for long.

See what things you can do in Springfield…no matter the climate.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

Join the celebration for Homecoming 2014

Homecoming button