homeschool

How I transitioned from homeschooling to college

March 19th, 2014 | Hope Hamilton

We make fun of ourselves. As a homeschool student, I knew better than anyone how to make jean-jumper, isolation and awkwardness jokes about those who were educated at home; but I love homeschooled kids from the deepest place in my heart. I was homeschooled my entire life, and thus come time for college there were a few concerns I had about making the transition from home to a large (well, in comparison) institution.

Well, now I’m mere weeks from graduation, and I thought it would be nice to write a few pieces of advice to my homeschooled friends out there who are looking to attend Evangel, or another similar university.

1. There’s no such thing as cool. 

When you’re homeschooled, there is no hierarchy of coolness within your home; however, you’ve seen it in the movies, and you know there must be a popularity pyramid everywhere else, and you think you’re not in it. I can’t speak for every other university, but there’s not actually a cool group at Evangel … we’re all awkward, and nerdy, and we have fun. Every person will find their niche of people they connect well with, but there’s no segregated former-homeschooler group. Homeschoolers are everywhere, in every group. So no, there’s no cool club to be excluded from, and yes, you can make friends easily.

2. Embrace your inner homeschooler.

No, we didn’t go to school in our pajamas. We did actually write essays. We knew people (they’re called co-ops). We played sports. We don’t all wear turtlenecks and jean skirts … if you were homeschooled, you’ve given the answers your entire life. OK you may love Bible Quiz, perhaps reading it your favorite pastime and maybe you’ve never stepped foot in a public school: That’s OK! One, you’re not alone, and two, you’re awesome. (I’m a tad biased on that last point.) There’s a large community of homeschoolers on Evangel’s campus, and when whenever I find out someone was homeschooled (you’d be surprised how often I find out people were homeschooled whom I never knew were), we share a few screams of excitement, and exchange stories of awkward days gone by. It’s a great community to be a part of, and I consider myself privileged to be a lifelong homeschooler.

3. Don’t worry about the paperwork.

Whether you were one of those homeschoolers who tracked every moment of every hour you spent working in every textbook, or if you simply did the assignments you were asked to do; it’s going to be OK. In regards to high school records, Evangel’s admissions department ask that you send an official high school transcript, and either your ACT or SAT scores. Your transcript should just list subjects you studied each year, the grades you received, and your cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale. Have you parents sign it, and you’ll be good to go.

Now my fellow homeschooled friends, I hope you feel better prepared to face the new world of college. This is going to be a season of making the best friends you’ll ever have, and of course diving deeper into the world of advanced academia in the subjects you love.

Want more? Check out the homeschool students page for more information and answers to some frequently asked questions.

Hope Hamilton

Advertising/Public Relations Major | Class of 2014

Hope is a senior Advertising/Public Relations major with a minor in Nonprofit Business and Social Enterprise. She is from Vero Beach, Florida, and loves people, the outdoors, music, worship and missions. Hope is currently the assistant director of outreach for Evangel's CROSSwalk student ministries organization.

2