eu launch

On change and freshman year fear

August 24th, 2014 | Hannah Beers

I despise change. No, I’m not kidding. I actually hate change so much that I cried when my family changed satellite TV providers when I was 15. Change is scary and unseen and cannot be controlled, and I like control.

Evangel was the only university I ever wanted to attend, and up until the summer before it was time to come, I couldn’t wait to get here. However, my high school graduation of 57 people came and went, and the realization that change was coming loomed over my head like an angry storm cloud.

Move in day 2012 came and sometime between lugging boxes full of sweaters  up three flights of stairs and finishing my first semester finals, I realized that change was one of the best things that could have happened to me for one reason: Change requires you to depend solely on God.

In case you’re wondering, I’m stubbornly independent, always wanting to take initiative instead of letting God lead. Some call it drive, and some call it stupidity. Call it what you will, but those first few weeks of living the college life required me to lean wholly on the Creator of the universe.

When you move away and begin college, it’s strange and unusual and wonderful and inspiring all at the same time. You’re not only starting over but on your own, unable to rely on the name or beliefs of your parents. For some, college is new and shiny. For others, it’s unknown and mysterious. Either way, it is different. It is full of change.

For those of you who are like me, I pray for peace for you, that the stress of uncertainty would be minimized. I pray that you would embrace the scariest time of your life thus far. I pray that your freshman experiences would be the punch line of many jokes to come. I pray that you find your niche and encourage others to find theirs as well. Lastly, I pray that your faith will grow as you rely on our miraculous God as he performs the miracle of change.

Hannah Beers

Hannah Beers is a sophomore Advertising/PR major from Steelville, Missouri, a town she says is "literally smaller than Evangel." As sophomore class president, College Republican president, a member of Excalibur yearbook staff, a photographer and founder of the Insecurely Movement, she's almost too busy to write this blog. But she loves sharing about Evangel, and she's not very good at saying no, so she's sharing the journey here.

Join the celebration for Homecoming 2014

Homecoming button