Hazy futures, trusted promises

September 3rd, 2014 | Ian Richardson

Another school year has come, bringing with it another move-in day, another reunion with old friends, another first day of classes and another inevitable bundle of syllabuses.

This semester will be my last. I’m now in my fourth and final year at Evangel, preparing to graduate in December. It’s hard to believe I’m almost done, but it’s true.

It’s also hard to move in for the last time without thinking back to when I moved in for the first time. And I’ve realized that a lot has changed in three years. As a freshman who didn’t know anybody on campus, I had no idea what I was doing here except that I was following where I felt God was guiding me. I spent my time doing what freshmen do: studying degree options and filling out club and work-study applications, gradually finding my niche, gradually getting involved.

Now I’m doing what seniors do: composing resumes and cover letters, searching job postings and sending out applications, preparing to meet the world beyond college. It’s a new—and, at times, scary—feeling, looking past everything you’ve known to something different and new.

Two transition periods. Two hazy futures. Three years apart. Maybe not that much has changed after all.

During times of transition I often find myself wishing I had a syllabus for my life—a day-by-day breakdown of what will be required of me today, tomorrow and 10 years from now. I wish I had something to show me what I need to do to get an A in life and to remove the suspense of confronting the nebulous, looming unknown.

Unfortunately, there isn’t one, and this can especially drive me nuts because I’m such a strategizer. I’m someone who lives by my daily planner and to-do lists. I like to know exactly what to prepare for.

But during both these times, then as a freshman and now as a senior, I’ve found comfort in trusting God’s promises in Scripture. I am reminded of His trustworthiness by verses like Hebrews 10:23: “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.”

It’s a comfort in times of suspense and uncertainty to know that the hands that hold your future are the same hands that formed the world and continue to hold it together, that the one who knew your life story before you were born is more than competent to guide you now. Even though I don’t know where I’m headed in four months, I do know that the same God who helped me find the right friends, activities, and classes during my time at Evangel will be the one helping me find more friends, activities and a career in the years to come.

Whether you’re beginning anew as a college freshman this year or beginning to anticipate the transition as a high school senior, whether you’re facing the transition into the career world as a college senior or standing somewhere in between, embrace the change. It may be scary to face uncertainty, but you can rest in the fact that God knows what He’s doing. He is faithful, and you can trust Him to see you through.

Ian Richardson

English Major | Class of 2015

Ian is a senior English major from Afton, Iowa. He lives in Scott Hall and writes for the Evangel University website and the Lance. Ian says the thing he loves most about Evangel is the sense of community.

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024