Evangel University provides full- and half-tuition academic scholarships to first-time students who have consistently demonstrated their commitment to Christ and to high academic achievement. These awards, known as the Founders Scholarship, are the highest academic scholarships offered by EU.
2014 Founders Winners
Evangel has announced the recipients of the 2014 Founders Scholarships, the highest academic scholarships that the University awards. Kellie Dennis and Emily Nelson will each receive a full-tuition scholarship. Ten additional students will receive a half-tuition scholarship.
Evangel invites students with a minimum grade point average of 3.8 (on a 4.0 scale) and an ACT composite score of 30 or above, or an SAT Critical Reading and Math score of 1330 or above, to apply for the prestigious Founders Scholarship. Competition for these scholarships is fierce, so be sure to read the requirements and standards below.
The Application Process
- The Founders Application is now open. You must have a MyEvangel account to apply. Start the process now.
The Campus Visit
Optional, but recommended if you have not visited the campus.
Candidates are invited to stay overnight with student hosts on Wednesday and start their campus visit Thursday morning. A Thursday overnight stay on campus is not scheduled so that the candidate can prepare for the Interview Day on Friday.
- Complete the RSVP form that you will receive once you have been invited to interview for the scholarship.
- Families are welcome to attend Thursday visit options with scholarship candidates.
- Visit options:
- Tour the campus
- Meet with your admissions counselor
- Meet with your financial aid counselor
- Share in a dynamic Chapel service
- Attend a class
- Visit with a professor
- Eat in the dining hall (complimentary; which meal[s] will depend on when you arrive for your visit)
- Participate in campus events
- Audition for a music scholarship
- Dinner and social time for candidates. Connect with current Founders Scholars and hear about their Interview Day experiences and what it’s like to be a part of Evangel. Get to know your fellow candidates too!
- This event is optional but highly recommended to help calm any pre-interview nerves and just have fun!
- Approximately 4 – 6:30 p.m.; exact time and location to be determined.
The interviews are intended to give information to the Scholarship Awards Committee beyond what is possible on the application. Both individual and group formats are used to interview the finalists. Finalists must be on campus for the duration of the interviews. There will also be activities to help the candidate become better acquainted with Evangel University.
Number of candidates
- Between 30 and 40 students have been invited each year to interview for a Founders Scholarship. This number is subject to change.
- Group interviews are about 30 minutes; the individual interview is 15-20 minutes.
- The final schedule will be distributed upon arrival at Evangel. Students will be free to leave once they have concluded their interviews. The earliest anyone should anticipate finishing is 1:30 p.m., and the latest is 4:30 p.m.
- Dress appropriately, presenting yourself at your very best. The Thursday evening reception is casual. For Friday, suits are recommended, but not required.
- The Founders Scholarship committee is comprised of one faculty member from each of our 10 academic departments and one administrator, the vice president for enrollment management. The 2014 committee has not yet been determined.
Activities/Events for family members or events they can also attend:
- Friday morning
- Orientation and complimentary breakfast
- Campus chapel service
- Faculty, Staff and Student Panel Discussion for Parents
- Friday Noon
- Special luncheon for Parents
- The selection process is assigned to the Scholarship Awards Committee. After its review of all applications, the committee will select finalists to be given interviews.
- The finalists are required to let the Office of Enrollment Management know if they accept the invitation to interview for a scholarship.
- All invited finalists must be prepared to be on campus for the duration of the interview process.
- Founders Scholarships will be awarded based on both the committee’s evaluation of the application material and the interviews.
- Notification to the recipients will be made via email correspondence approximately two weeks after the Interview Day. All finalists not selected for a Founders Scholarship will be awarded a Freshmen Merit Scholarship.
- The selected recipients are asked to accept or decline the scholarship. Declined scholarships will then be offered to alternate finalists.
- What do you feel are your greatest strengths, and how do you see yourself using these strengths uniquely to reflect the mission and purpose of Evangel?
- Why do you believe, as a student who will represent Evangel on an ongoing basis, we should choose you to receive the Founders Scholarship?
- List three words that best describe you.
- What are your strongest leadership qualities?
- What are some areas in your life where you would like to improve?
- What qualities do you look for in a friend?
- Who has impacted you the most during high school and in what way?
- What do you feel God has called you to do?
- What’s your greatest passion in life?
- If you could do anything or have any job, what would it be and why?
- How do you see yourself making an impact on Evangel’s campus?
- What is your favorite book and why?
- What current events most intrigue you and why?
- What activity that you’ve been involved in best describes who you are? Why?
- What opportunities/activities do you plan to be involved in as an Evangel student?