Four named Future Professional Major of the Year
December 19, 2011 | Paul K. Logsdon
Eight Evangel University Kinesiology Department students and four faculty members recently attended the 2011 Missouri Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance Convention at the Lodge of the Four Seasons in Lake of Ozarks.
The three-day state convention was titled “Building on the Past, Shaping the Future”.
The conference provided information sessions in all areas of physical education, sport skill instruction, recreation programming and management, exercise science research and personal training techniques and methods, while providing the students networking opportunities with other professionals in the fields.
“Exposure at the state level provides a network environment for future job placements as well as student teaching opportunities,” said Dr. Hardy, professor of exercise science and chair of the Kinesiology Department.
Donovan Nelson, assistant professor of physical education, presented two sessions — “Can’t Pitch a Softball? You can Teach It” and “Improve Hitting Mechanics in 7 Steps.”
An awards banquet was held the last evening of the MOAHPERD Convention to recognize and honor outstanding future professionals from each college and university in the state.
Julianna Hudson, Orrie Sielaff, Jeremy Garten, and Andrew Brimhall were selected by Evangel University as recipients of the 2011 Future Professional Majors of the Year Award.
Professors who attended were:
- Dr. Keith Hardy, professor of exercise science and chair of the Kinesiology Department
- Donovan Nelson, assistant professor of physical education
- Charles Getty, assistant professor of exercise science
- Callie Traub, associate professor of physical education and recreation
Students who attended were:
- Austin O’Regan, junior, physical education major from Woodinville, WA
- Julianna Hudson, senior, exercise science major from Doniphan, MO
- Bradley Sturdefant, senior, recreation major from Seymour, MO
- Orrie Sielaff, senior, physical education major from Green Bay, WI
- Aaron Crews, senior, physical education major from Colorado Springs, CO
- Jeremy Garten, senior, recreation major from Springfield, MO
- Ryan Allison, senior, exercise science major from Beaverton, OR
- Luke Warner, junior, physical education major from Greenwood, MO
Expenses for the trip were partially funded by a grant from LifeWorks, Evangel University’s Center for Leadership and Life Calling.