Thirteen Evangel students capture first-place wins in statewide Phi Beta Lambda event
April 4, 2013 | Paul K. Logsdon
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Members of the Evangel University chapter of Phi Beta Lambda recently participated in the organization’s annual statewide competitive events, with 13 students taking first-place and 11 students taking second-place honors.
First- and second-place winners will be eligible to represent Evangel at PBL’s National Leadership Conference in Anaheim, Calif., June 22-25.
Since all 50 competitive event categories are sponsored by businesses, the top five winners in all categories have the opportunity to win $1,000 per event at this summer’s national competition.
Due to inclement weather and bad traffic conditions, this year’s state events, while scheduled to take place in Columbia, Mo., were conducted over the Internet using the Hangouts feature of Google+, a popular social networking service.
“It was a great learning experience—an opportunity to make lemonade from lemons for the judges, faculty, state administrators and our students,” said Elizabeth Fletcher, PBL faculty adviser. “I often tell friends my age, ‘If you get a new phone or new computer and need to learn how to use it, ask a young person.’”
According to Fletcher, students choose to compete in specific events based on advice from faculty and class performance. Team events are used to pair underclassmen with more experienced students and to develop positive competitive experiences.
The following students placed in their respective events:
- Client Services:
- Lauren McCreight, senior management and finance major from Springfield, Mo.
- Emerging Business Issues Team:
- Leticia Alvarado-Lopez, sophomore marketing major from Reno, Nev.
- Brandon Hoffman, senior finance major from Woodstock, Ga.
- Natalie Nordstrom, senior marketing major from Murphysboro, Ill.
- Financial Analysis & Decision Making Team:
- James Hafner, junior finance major from Richmond, Mich.
- Aaron Peace, freshman finance major from Joondalup DC, Western Australia
- William Studioso, junior management major from Tuscumbia, Ala.
- Integrated Marketing Campaign:
- Joshua Whitaker, junior marketing major from Pomona, Kansas
- Parliamentary Procedure Team:
- Areli Garcia, sophomore digital arts major from El Centro, Calif.
- Kelly Goncalves, junior management major from Boca Raton, Fla.
- Sarah Kempski, junior accounting major from Fair Haven, Mich.
- Nathaniel McHaffie, junior music major from Springfield, Mo.
- Strategic Analysis & Decision Making Team:
- Sapphire Fitzgerald, senior accounting major from Bellingham, Wash.
- Business Decision Making:
- Brandon Hoffman
- Business Presentation:
- Tabitha Lichtenberg, junior government major from Sioux City, Iowa
- Joshua Whitaker
- Cyber Security:
- Christopher Harness, sophomore computer information systems major from Quincy, Ill.
- Economic Analysis & Decision Making Team:
- Grace LaPoint, junior marketing major from Greenbank, Wash.
- Aaron Peace
- William Studioso
- Human Resource Management Team:
- Kelly Goncalves
- Daniel Noah, senior management major from Springfield, Mo.
- Marketing Analysis & Decision Making Team:
- Yesenia Gallegos, senior marketing major from Springfield, Mo.
- Grace LaPoint
- Project Management:
- Daniel Noah
- Accounting Analysis & Decision Making Team:
- Travis Hendon, junior management and accounting major from Springfield, Mo.
- Sapphire Fitzgerald
- Hospitality Management:
- Leticia Alvarado-Lopez
- Rebekah Garcia, sophomore early childhood education major from El Centro, Calif.
- Client Services:
- Areli Garcia
- Computer Concepts:
- Christopher Harness
For additional information, contact Elizabeth Fletcher at (417) 865-2815, ext. 8112.
Evangel University is a private, Christian university of arts, sciences and professions. With an enrollment of more than 2,000 students from all 50 states and abroad, Evangel offers more than 100 undergraduate academic programs and nine master’s programs.