Evangel University student media win national recognitions through Society of Collegiate Journalists
June 12, 2013 | Valorie Coleman
SPRINGFIELD, Mo.—Evangel student media recently received awards from the 2013 Society for Collegiate Journalists (SCJ) national contest.
The contest recognizes excellent student media produced during 2012. Professional media members serve as contest judges.
SCJ is a national honor society. Membership in the Evangel chapter requires at least two semesters of media staff service. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is also required. There are 12 active members in Evangel’s SCJ chapter.
Entries in the SCJ contest are judged against entries from colleges and universities across the nation.
“It is always nice for students and their work to be recognized, but to achieve in these contests is especially gratifying,” said Melinda Booze, SCJ chapter adviser and faculty adviser for The Lance.
“The judges are media professionals. This gives these awards particular value.”
Evangel’s student newspaper, The Lance, received 12 awards from the SCJ contest. Christine Temple, senior, served as The Lance editor in chief.
Journalist of the Year
Temple was named the Art Barlow Journalist of the Year. She was selected from a group of finalists from college and university SCJ chapters across the United States. She received a plaque and $500.
First Place awards:
- News Page Design: Christine Temple, senior journalism major from Ozark, Mo.
- Companion Newspaper Website, lance.crusadermedia.com: Jonathan May, sophomore film major from Bigfork, Mont.
Second Place award:
- Newspaper Overall Excellence (weekly or less)
- Editorial Page Design: Christine Temple
- Sports Page Design: Sierra Louden, sophomore journalism major from Canaan, Ind.
- Feature Page Design: Brena Swanson, junior communication studies major from The Colony, Texas
- Breaking or Hard News: Christine Temple
- Editorial Cartoons: Lorane “Raini” Way, senior digital arts major from Great Falls, Mont.
Third Place awards:
- Front Page Design: Christine Temple
- Editorials: Christine Temple
- Editorial Cartoons: Lorane “Raini” Way
Evangel’s television station, ECTV, received one SCJ award. Dr. Cameron Pace, professor of communication, is the faculty adviser.
Third Place award:
- TV News Show Overall Excellence: “Newswatch Today”
For additional information, contact Melinda Booze at (417) 865-2815, ext. 8417 or Dr. Cameron Pace, ext. 8411.