Evangel University to host annual meeting of Society for Pentecostal Studies
January 27, 2014 | Valorie Coleman
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Evangel University will host the 43rd annual meeting of the Society for Pentecostal Studies (SPS) on March 6-8, 2014. The theme of the 2014 meeting is “Hermeneutics and the Spirit: Identities, Communities, and the Making of Meaning.”
Pentecostal scholars from across the United States and around the world will gather for parallel interest group sessions, special luncheons, plenaries and a banquet, which will celebrate the centennial anniversary of the Assemblies of God.
The opening plenary session will take place Thursday, March 6, at 7 p.m. This session is open to the public.
David Daniels, professor of world Christianity at McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago, and Daniel Ramirez, assistant professor at the University of Michigan, will present on “Race, Culture and the Hermeneutical Shaping of Theological Communities.”
Special music will be provided by Urshan College Chorale of Florissant, Mo., and the following churches in Springfield: Sanctuary of Praise Church of God in Christ, Deliverance Temple Church and 20Twenty, an extension of Evangel Temple.
Registration is required for all other SPS sessions. Speakers will include the following:
- Merold Westphal, distinguished professor of philosophy emeritus, Fordham University, New York City
- Donald Miller, executive director, University of Southern California Center for Religion and Civic Culture, Los Angeles
- Cheryl Bridges Johns, professor of discipleship & Christian formation, Pentecostal Theological Seminary, Cleveland, Tenn.
- Anjulet Tucker, assistant professor of Sociology of Religion, Boston University
- Mark Cartledge, director of the Centre for Pentecostal & Charismatic Studies, University of Birmingham, UK
- Lee Roy Martin, professor of Hebrew & biblical languages, Pentecostal Theological Seminary, Cleveland, Tenn.
“Numerous Evangel and AGTS faculty, including those from EU’s newly-consolidated School of Theology and Church Ministries, as well as administrators, students and alumni will be among the presenters and participants at this year’s meeting,” said Dr. Lois E. Olena, SPS executive director and associate professor at Assemblies of God Theological Seminary at Evangel University. “We look forward to the exchange of ideas and scholarly communication surrounding this topic.”
Each year the SPS meets in a different region of the country. Springfield hosted SPS meetings in 1999 (at Evangel), 1992 (at AGTS) and 1977 (at Drury Inn).
For full annual meeting and registration information, see the SPS website:
For more information, contact Dr. Lois E. Olena at (417) 268-1084 or by email, email@example.com.