Five of ten national Riggs Scholarship winners enroll at Evangel University
August 10, 2016 | Paul K. Logsdon
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Five of the ten Ralph Riggs Scholarship recipients from the Assemblies of God Trust for 2016 are attending Evangel University this fall, including the top two with $30,000 scholarships each. The other three have received $5,000 scholarships.
Jalen Gifford of Dodge City, Kan., and Abigail Roy of Mansfield, Mo., each received a $30,000 Ralph Riggs General Superintendents Scholarship, which will be distributed over four years.
The Riggs Scholarship is named after one of the founding fathers of Evangel University, former AG General Superintendent Ralph M. Riggs, an early advocate for higher education in the Assemblies.
The scholarships are awarded annually by the AGTrust to a select number of high school graduates planning to attend AG colleges and universities. Recipients are selected based on outstanding academic merit; exemplary school, community and church service; and personal references.
The Riggs Scholarship is one of four scholarship/grant programs sponsored by the AGTrust.
Since its formation in 2008, the AGTrust has awarded 998 scholarships and grants totaling $2.7 million to students attending AG colleges and universities.
$30,000 Scholarship Recipients
Two Ralph Riggs General Superintendent’s $30,000 Scholarships have been awarded for 2016, and both winners are enrolled at Evangel for this fall.
• Jalen Gifford is the son of Jay and Wendy Gifford of Dodge City, Kan. He is a graduate of Dodge City High School, and he will be a film major at Evangel.
“God has given me a passion to capture stories and emotion through the lens of a camera — the art of filmmaking,” said Jalen. “I believe attending Evangel University will give me the opportunity to grow spiritually while gaining the skills to become an influential filmmaker.”
• Abigail Roy is the daughter of Randall and Julie Roy of Mansfield, Mo., and is a graduate of Mansfield High School. She will be a business management major at Evangel and looks forward to getting involved in student service opportunities.
In high school, Abigail was a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. She was also a participant in the AG National Fine Arts program, and currently serves as the leader of worship and drama ministry at her church, Mansfield First Assembly.
$5,000 Scholarship Recipients
Annually, there are eight Ralph Riggs $5,000 Scholarships awarded, and three of those recipients for 2016 will be attending Evangel University as well.
• Karina Cuate is the daughter of Juan and Kerry Cuate, of Worthington, Minn. She is a graduate of Worthington High School and will be an applied mathematics major at Evangel.
• Taylor Davis is the daughter of Mike and Kathi Davis of Woodbridge, Va. She is a graduate of C.D. Hylton High School and will be a social work major at Evangel.
• Sydney Wood is the daughter of Shea and Sally Wood of Salem, Mo. She is a graduate of Salem Senior High School and will be a communication studies major at Evangel.
The remaining five awardees will attend Evangel’s sister schools in Minnesota, Washington and Texas.
For more information about the AGTrust and its scholarship/grant programs, see http://www.agtrust.org.
- *General Categories
- Academic Affairs
- Administration and Offices
- Applied Mathematics
- Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Communication Studies
- Enrollment Management
- Natural and Applied Sciences
- President's Office
- Records and Regisration
- Residence Hall Directors
- Social Work
- Student Development
- Student Financial Services
- Student Life
- University Advancement
- University Relations