Georgia C. Belin (’02): AG social services director

April 29, 2009

Georgia Belin and her husband, Jack, served for 15 years as missionaries in Bolivia before Jack took a position with Convoy of Hope in Springfield, Mo. Georgia knew she wanted to continue with her ministry, but didn’t know in what specific direction to follow.

She decided to visit the Evangel University Admissions Department, where she spoke with an administrator. He asked about her past ministry. “After relaying the events and activities of my ministry, I remember so clearly him saying, ‘That sounds like social work.’ I had never thought the work that I was doing was social work,” Belin said. “He sent me to visit Dr. Jeff Fulks … and the rest is history!”

While a student at Evangel, Georgia was a member of the Social Work Club and the National Association of Social Workers. Two of her favorite memories from Evangel were the role playing she did to understand the different diversities and the nerves she felt when she was asked to speak in chapel.

Georgia graduated magna cum laude from Evangel in 2002 with a Bachelor of Social Work. Georgia feels that Evangel gave her a taste of all the different materials, aspects and classes needed for her career and graduate work. “I was given a snapshot experience in many avenues in order to assist me in choosing where the Lord was directing,” she said. “When I went to graduate school and studied these areas in-depth, I was not jumping into cold, unfamiliar water.”

She earned her master’s degree from Southwest Missouri State University in 2003.

However, the impact Evangel had on her development went far beyond simply academic and vocational. “Evangel was a great assistance in developing and solidifying my spiritual goals with purpose,” Belin said. “The spiritual formation included both the skills and training with the opportunities and plan of God. Evangel taught me how to have my own identity — not the preacher’s wife; not the missionary’s wife; but Georgia. I learned that the Lord has a unique place for me with the skills He has given me.”

Georgia became a licensed Social Worker in Missouri and is currently licensed in the state of Arkansas. She serves as Social Services Director for the Assemblies of God Family Services Agency (AGFSA), and is the Director of Social Services for Hillcrest Children’s Home and AGFSA Adoption Agency. “When I learned what the job would entail, it was like the last puzzle piece being put in place, and I could see the whole picture,” she said. “Absolutely all the skills, education and training, events, activities, experience and even trials of my life became relevant for this task.”

Belin supervises 45 staff members and oversees more than 60 children. “I am able to have hands-on direction with the joy of seeing both spiritual and physical growth,” she said. “AGFSA is growing in number and in vision. A new Transitional Living Center is being started this year, and I’ve begun the planning to start AG Foster Families,” she said. “There is no limit to the ministry.” Georgia and her husband, Jack, have been happily married for 42 years. They have two children and seven grandchildren.

FA14_Students_Walking_To_Class_024