Allison Hart Davis (’02): Helping Southern Missouri ice storm victims

June 19, 2009

When an ice storm paralyzed the greater Springfield, Missouri area in 2007, Allison Davis, a 2002 Evangel University graduate, was a first responder to the hearts of many of local children.

As the intensity of the winter storm knocked out power to 200,000 Southwest Missourians, Davis, the Recreation Supervisor for the City of Republic, a small town southwest of Springfield, went to work quickly organizing and implementing a variety of games and activities for the children of families living in a local shelter after losing electricity in their homes.

“We wanted to give the kids a positive outlet to what happened to some of their homes,” Davis says. “Both the parents and children were very appreciative we were there for them.”

Davis has been in her position in Republic for seven years and is responsible for organizing facility rentals, managing budgets, providing program marketing, planning and administering employee meetings, coordinating the hiring, scheduling and supervision of seasonal and part-time employees, coordinating the city’s July 4th event for 6,000 people, and assisting with the planning and supervision of youth sports and recreation for all ages.

Davis is also certified through the Arthritis Foundation to teach the Arthritis Foundation exercise program and was awarded the Community Service Award for her clean-up volunteer efforts following the ice storm.

“I love the fact that my job is never the same — there is always something new every day.”

When Davis came to Evangel in 1998, she wasn’t sure what major to declare; she just knew she liked being active and helping people become active.

Davis became involved in the Athletics Department through playing volleyball and basketball, serving as a student intramural director. She was also  the sports representative for her floor and residence hall.

In addition to being involved in athletics, she also volunteered at Convoy of Hope and had the opportunity to be a resident assistant for a summer.

“I loved everything about my time at EU,” Davis says. “I liked the family atmosphere it provided, the relationships I made with some of my professors, the dorm life, and most of all, all of the lasting friendships I gained.”

Upon graduating with her Physical Education degree, Davis began pursuing teaching jobs, but nothing felt right.

“I was working part-time and was going on numerous teaching interviews in the area. Each time I interviewed for a position, I just didn’t feel the passion I once felt,” recalls Davis. “At that time, one of my managers told me about a recreation job opening in Republic and thought I should look into it.”

She  learned the deadline had passed. But Davis turned in her resume anyway.

“I prayed for God’s will, and two months later I had the job,” she says.

Davis says her Evangel education and experiences prepared her well for her career. “The experience of being a student intramural director definitely gave me a foundation for the field I am in now,” she says.

“Not only did I learn from the faculty how to coordinate a good intramural program, but I developed the tools for how to effectively deal with all kinds of people. I truly believe God provided me with specific opportunities and people that have helped me get to where I am today.”

2