Hannah (Walsh) Dutko (’07): Vancouver Master of Divinity student

June 25, 2009

Hannah Dutko almost didn’t attend Evangel University. She had been accepted to William and Mary and was planning to enroll at the Williamsburg, Virginia college. However one day she began considering going somewhere that provided solid training in Bible and theology instead.

“I decided on Evangel after I learned that it has high academic standards but also emphasizes growing closer to God through community life and studies,” she says. Dutko graduated from Evangel in 2007 with a double major in English and Biblical Studies. Looking back, she acknowledges that Evangel was the ideal choice.

After enrolling in a graduate program at Missouri State University, she realized just how well Evangel had prepared her. “I appreciate that the classes in my majors encouraged quality academic work because at MSU I felt very prepared for the kinds of reading and writing I had to do.”

Dutko received a graduate assistantship at MSU, where she taught two classes a semester in exchange for free tuition while she earned her Master of Arts in Writing. She taught four different courses: first-Year Composition, Developmental Writing, Creative Nonfiction and Writing for Non-Native Students.

She graduated from MSU in May 2009 and has now been awarded an Academic Entrance Scholarship to Regent College in Vancouver, Canada. The scholarship will cover her first year as she pursues a Master of Divinity.

Though Dutko credits her experiences at Evangel for her post-college academic success, she says that much of what she gained at Evangel happened outside of the classroom.

“I see that as important as my actual classes were, much of what I gained was not academic,” she says. “I grew so much personally through conversation and life with other Christian students, through community experiences of faith, and through relationship s with incredible godly administrators and faculty. Some of these things can only be found at a great Christian school like Evangel.”

But Dutko says her greatest memories at Evangel were experiences with her husband, Joseph, who she met as an Evangel student.

“It was a great environment for encouraging healthy, godly relationships.” Dutko’s future plans include teaching at the university level. “I hope to teach theology, literature and writing, possibly at a place like Evangel. Also, Joseph and I are looking forward to starting a family after we finish some more school.”

2