Dr. Troy D. Paino (’85): Truman State University president
February 9, 2010
Dr. Troy D. Paino, a 1985 graduate of Evangel University, has been named the 16th president of Truman State University in Kirksville, Missouri.
He has served as the provost and vice president for academic affairs at Truman State since 2008. He will begin his duties as president May 10. Founded in 1867, Truman is Missouri’s only highly selective public liberal arts and sciences university.
Paino graduated from Evangel with a Bachelor of Arts in History and Philosophy.
He went on to earn his master of arts degree and Ph.D. in American studies from Michigan State University and a juris doctorate from Indiana University School of Law.
In April 2009, the Department of Social Sciences at Evangel presented Dr. Paino with the Regius Award, the department’s highest honor.
When Dr. J. Calvin Holsinger, professor emeritus, nominated him for the award in 2009, he commented about Paino as a student, “Troy was bright, insightful and interested. He did good academic work, and the departmental faculty all knew he would be a valuable contributor to society. We are not at all surprised that he continued to do well.”
His teaching and scholarly interests include 20th-century cultural and social history and American legal history. He has written journal articles, encyclopedia entries and book reviews on the history of American sport. His book, “The Social History of the United States: 1960s,” was published in 2008.
Paino and his wife Kelly have two daughters, Sophia, age 12, and Chloe, age 10.
Evangel now has 11 alumni college presidents
In addition to Dr. Paino, Evangel has six other alumni who are currently serving as college presidents:
- Dr. Joseph Castleberry ’83 at Northwest University, Kirkland, Wash.
- Dr. Barry Corey ’84 at Biola University, La Mirada, Calif.
- Dr. David DeGarmo ’91 at American Indian College in Phoenix, Ariz.
- Dr. Daniel Johnson ’61 at Zayed University in the United Arab Emirates (and formerly at University of Toledo)
- Dr. Mark Skrade ’83 at the Forest Institute of Professional Psychology, Springfield, Mo.
- Dr. Carol Taylor ’73 at Vanguard University, Costa Mesa, Calif.
There are also four Evangel graduates who previously served as college presidents during their careers:
- Dr. David Clark ’62 at Palm Beach Atlantic University, West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Dr. John Deegan ’67 at St. Andrews Presbyterian College, Laurinburg, N.C.
- Dr. Tom Duncan ’75 at Bethany College, Santa Cruz, Calif.
- Dr. David Moore ’72 at the American Indian College, Phoenix, Ariz.