Sarah Logan (’98 and ’02): Springfield Public Schools teacher and International Reading Association president-elect

December 8, 2011

In the life of a teacher, every day is an adventure. And for Professional Learning Specialist and STEP UP Coach Sarah Logan (’98 and ‘02), that thirst for adventure began with her own education at Evangel. Logan has spent her entire teaching career with Springfield Public Schools and also serves as President-Elect of the International Reading Association’s Springfield chapter. She praises Evangel for starting her down the path to a career she is truly passionate about as well as helping her develop her own faith in the process.

“Evangel’s lasting impact on me is that I integrate my faith into every area of my life, and I know that the pursuit of learning and excellence never ends,” she says. “Honestly I can say that I am where I am today because of the doors the Lord has opened for me and NOT because of any efforts I have made to advance myself.”

Through the STEP UP program, which Logan explains is the school district’s program for new and early-career teachers, her primary responsibility is supporting first, second and third-year teachers. She currently serves 39 teachers whose roles include classroom teachers, counselors, special education teachers and art, music and PE teachers. According to Logan, many of these teachers are also Evangel alums and graduate students.

After receiving her bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education with a minor in English in 1998, Logan later went on to earn her Master’s degree in Reading from Evangel in 2002. She credits her EU experience and professors for encouraging her continued academic pursuits along with her desire to be a leader in her workplace.

“Because of my wonderful undergraduate experiences at Evangel and my tremendous respect for Dr. Becky Huechteman, I chose to pursue my Master’s degree in Reading at Evangel after earning my bachelor’s degree,” she says. “While living on campus, I was involved in leadership on my floors (good old Walther 3S and Lewis 3N) and I was also involved with the Student Council of MSTA.”

This leadership has shown itself in a variety of ways, both in her professional life and her personal life.

“I know that the Lord has called me to influence teachers (and as a result their students), so I keep a Sharpie marker on my desk with 1 Timothy 4:12 printed on it: ‘Set an example (be a pattern) … in what you say and do as well as by your love, faith, and purity.’ It’s a visible reminder that the work I do leaves a mark on the people I impact.”

When asked about advice she would give current Evangel students, Logan had this to say:

“Value and invest in the relationships you build with your fellow students as well as your instructors and professors. These connections will serve you well in the future—in helping you find a job, providing you with resources to do your job well, and even in ways you don’t know you need until you need them! And those same students and teachers may need you down the line as well.”

In her free time, Logan says she is an avid Jazzerciser (she adds, “contrary to myth, leotards and leg warmers are not required”) and loves reading. She said she also “plays around with short story writing based on my adventures in teaching.”

Logan also maintains a close relationship with many of her fellow Evangel grads. As she put it, “Choosing to go to Evangel is one of the BEST decisions I have ever made in my life. Seriously!”

Join the celebration for Homecoming 2014

Homecoming button