Charlie Getty: Academic instructor and strength and conditioning coach

February 5, 2012

With 14 years of wrestling experience and more than 30 years of football experience under his belt, Charlie Getty heads the personal training courses at Evangel. Getty graduated from Pennsylvania State University in 1974 with a degree in Health, Physical Education and Recreation. As a senior offensive lineman, he earned All-American honors from the Associated Press and United Press International. He was then drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs, the beginning of a 10-year NFL career spent with the Chiefs and the Green Bay Packers. Getty was selected to the NFL All-Rookie Team in 1974 in recognition of his outstanding debut season.

Since his professional football career, Getty has worked at several Missouri high schools, teaching physical education classes and coaching sports. He has also worked as a youth pastor. Getty came to Evangel in 2002, where he now teaches and coaches the defensive and offensive lines for the Evangel Crusader football team.

You spent ten years playing offensive line in the NFL. What are some of the lessons you learned during that time?

The relationships are the only thing that last.  By the time you get experienced enough to play the game properly, you are too old to continue playing and are forced to retire.  God will always give you the grace to do what He calls you to do. Also, don’t run outside zone plays unless you have lots of practice time to perfect them.

How did you become involved with personal training?

I received my CSCS (Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist) in 2006.  I did it because I felt I could better serve the students here at Evangel.  I love what I do and I want to be good at it.

What events led up to you coming to teach at Evangel?

I was looking for a job.  I interviewed at a school in the area and was in the final interview.  I was asked a question that had to do with how important winning was to me.  I knew what they wanted to hear, but I answered totally honestly instead.  My answer was that it was important, but not as important as the relationships I had developed with my students over the years.  (I have done the weddings for 12 former students. They are all still married.)  I didn’t get the job.  I was never happier.  Three weeks later I was offered a job at Evangel.  That was God.

What is your favorite part about being a professor and a personal trainer here at Evangel?

The people.  When you enjoy the success of your students more than you enjoy your own success, you are a teacher.

What sets Evangel’s Kinesiology Department apart from similar departments at other universities?

The people and the Lord.  You can get an education down the street for less money, but you can’t get a calling from the Lord that is going to influence and bless everything you do for the rest of your life.  That is unique to us.

What is the best part about Evangel students?

You can see them begin to develop their own relationship with the Lord and you can help them with it.  If you stay around long enough, you can see them do more and better than you know you could do.

What advice do you have for prospective students, especially those interested in kinesiology and personal training?

Rely on God. This is not a job; it is a profession.  It is a calling.  It is a way of life.  Come with passion.  If you don’t love this profession, get out of it and find one you can love.

Join the celebration for Homecoming 2014

Homecoming button