Jason Salazar: Assistant professor of music and Immanence director

February 21, 2012

Jason Salazar, assistant professor of music, has been a member of the music faculty at Evangel since 2007. Along with teaching a variety of music courses, he directs Evangel’s touring worship band, “Immanence.”

Salazar graduated from Evangel in 1998. He then served as minister of music at churches in California and Texas. In 2001, he moved back to Springfield where he began work at the Assemblies of God Headquarters’ Worship Resource and Consulting office, a job he still maintains part-time. He holds a master’s degree in composition from Missouri State University.

On the side, Salazar owns his own music company, Razalas Music. Through Razalas Music he writes, arranges and orchestrates music for several national organizations. He has also produced two CDs of arranged music for the Assemblies of God.

Salazar loves spending time with his wife, Jennie, and their three children. He also enjoys cheering on his beloved San Francisco sports teams.

How did you first become interested in music?

My dad, grandfather and two uncles are actively involved with music as a profession. Going into music seemed like what I supposed to do.

During your time as an Evangel student, what was the most important thing you learned?

This is a bit cheesy, but really, I learned to multi-task. I could not be where I am today without this skill. Because I am active in many different circles (school, AG, freelance work), I wear many hats. Being able to multi-task enables me to keep things straight.

Did you have any idea that you would return to Evangel as a professor? What is it like coming back to teach?

I never thought I would become teacher. In fact, I would have laughed at you if you told me that when I was a student. But  I am having the time of my life here at Evangel. I consider it a great privilege to be here at EU, but also a great responsibility. I feel a lot of pressure trying to help prepare the next generation of musicians.

What are some exciting opportunities for music students at Evangel?

We offer a ton of variety. From formal choirs and orchestras to contemporary music to worship music, there are so many opportunities. I encourage my students to actively participate in many things, just for the exposure to different musical styles and genres.

What is your most memorable accomplishment so far in your career?

I really don’t have one big moment, but I love seeing my students have success in the real world. Other than that, hearing my music performed still gives me goose bumps.

What advice do you have for students considering Evangel, especially those interested in music?

To have success in the Music Department, you need to have a foundation. Take lessons, study the basics of music and work hard. The more you know about music coming to Evangel, the better off you will be.

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson