Allison Fontaine: Business Management, Intercultural Studies major and CROSSwalk director

March 26, 2012

When Allison Fontaine heard about Evangel University at a National Fine Arts Festival, she knew it was exactly what she was looking for.  Despite some obstacles, including her inability to visit campus before her arrival as a freshman, Allison chose to follow God’s lead and travel more than 1,000 miles to Evangel’s campus in the fall of 2008 to enroll.  Since then, God has confirmed again and again that her choice was the right one.  The Ormond Beach, Florida native is preparing to graduate with majors in Business Management and Intercultural Studies. She has built many relationships with faculty and peers and has encountered several leadership opportunities, all of which are shaping her into the leader God has called her to be.  She is now in her senior year and is the director for CROSSwalk Student Ministries for the 2011-2012 academic year.

Why did you choose Evangel?

I knew I wanted an accredited, private school with a variety of programs and areas in which I could get involved. Although many schools fit that description, from the moment I heard about Evangel at National Fine Arts, I knew it was the place for me. I loved the idea of going to a university that promoted my beliefs and encouraged me to integrate my faith into whatever career path I chose. I felt an undeniable call to attend Evangel and although I was uncertain of why, I was obedient to follow God’s will; and I am so glad I did.

Did you visit Evangel before becoming a student?

No, I had never visited Evangel or even been to Missouri before moving here as a freshman in the fall of 2008.

Did you receive financial aid?

Yes, each year I have received the EU Honor Scholarship, as well as departmental scholarships, and federal aid through grants and loans.

Were there any obstacles you overcame in coming to Evangel?

Yes.  It was a huge decision for me to move out of state and go to school somewhere I had never even visited. Many people didn’t understand why I chose to go so far away and suggested it wasn’t the right choice of schools. Because Evangel is a private, out-of-state school, the cost was higher than a state school and I forfeited many of the state scholarships I was eligible to receive. Raising the money to attend Evangel as well as believing this was where I needed to be despite critics were both difficult obstacles to face, but throughout the whole process God was faithful to provide. Each year I have received enough financial aid to cover the costs and have truly been blessed for following God’s call.

How did you decide on your particular area of study?

When I came to Evangel, I was originally an Intercultural Studies major with the goal of going into full-time missions. After my freshman year I began to realize my desire to pursue an education beyond just missions work. After talking with my advisors I decided to switch my major to Business Management. This would give me a broader education with a more holistic approach to being involved in ministry. The combination of business and intercultural studies has given me opportunity to learn about both ministry and practical aspects of working with and helping others.

What are the benefits of attending a smaller university?

Attending a smaller university enables each student to truly find the educational path that fits his or her needs best. It creates an atmosphere that fosters growth and personal relationships where the faculty and staff know each student by name and fellow students become like a family. The smaller size also provides more opportunity to be involved in campus leadership and activities that will truly enhance the college experience.

What kind of educational/service/leadership opportunities have you encountered?

Evangel has provided more opportunities for leadership and service than I could have ever expected. Over the past three years, I have been involved in floor council, class council, ESGA as the Business Department senator, CROSSwalk as the assistant director of impact teams and now will be serving as CROSSwalk Director for the 2011-2012 school year. All of these opportunities have given me practical experience in leadership and connected me to many people on campus that have aided in my individual growth.

Could you describe the ministries of CrossWalk?

CROSSwalk is a student-led, faculty-sponsored organization focused on student ministry and spiritual life at Evangel. The members and volunteers of CROSSwalk work to foster spiritual development here on campus as well as apply their unique talents to minister all over the world. The ministries encompass world missions, children’s ministry, local and national outreaches, and campus ministry through devotionals and worship services.

What do you hope CrossWalk can achieve under your leadership during the 2011-2012 academic year?

My prayer for this upcoming school year is that CROSSwalk will continue to provide a way for every student to be actively involved in ministry. There are many opportunities for students to use their skills and passions in order to minister and be used to further His Kingdom. I hope to promote CROSSwalk’s vision by resourcing students for ministry, raising up leaders on campus, and serving others in order to spread the knowledge of Christ locally and all over the world.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

Evangel is so much more than a university; on top of receiving a well-rounded education, students are given the opportunity to grow spiritually, discover their individual strengths and abilities, create lifelong friendships and build a foundation for the rest of their lives. If students are looking for a place that will challenge, motivate and equip them for their future, Evangel is exactly where they need to be. The teachers, staff and fellow students will become a constant source of support and encouragement for any individual willing to learn. My time here has been paramount to my success and learning over the past three years, and I have no doubt it would be the same for any student considering attending Evangel.

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson