Anna Lester: Journalism major

March 26, 2012

Anna Lester first became aware of Evangel University at a National Fine Arts Festival and soon fell in love with the warm welcome she received throughout her application process. Despite financial obstacles, God provided everything Anna needed to travel from her hometown of Broken Bow, Oklahoma to attend Evangel. As Lester, currently a sophomore, pursues her degree in Journalism, she is driven by her passion to make a difference in whatever way God sees fit.

Why did you choose to come to Evangel?

I became aware of Evangel through National Fine Arts Festival and felt called to this campus ever since. I desired to attend a university that encouraged me in my faith and provided plenty of opportunities for student leadership. Evangel’s faculty showed personal interest in me throughout the entire application process while all other schools I applied to only seemed interested in whether or not I was going to write them a check.

Did you visit Evangel before becoming a student?

I visited Evangel my junior and senior years of high school. The first time I was ever on campus, God orchestrated an opportunity for me to meet Jeff Burnett (director of admissions), who introduced himself to my family and took the time to sit down with us over lunch to get to know us. By the time I came back to campus for another visit my senior year, I had no doubt that Evangel was right where I was meant to be.

Did you receive financial aid?

Yes; I received federal grants and serve as a work-study in Evangel’s Public Relations office. I also was awarded several academic and performance scholarships from Evangel as well as scholarships from a few outside sources. I was a 2010 Coca-Cola Academic Scholar as well.

Were there any obstacles you overcame in coming to Evangel?

Financial obstacles were the hardest to overcome. I didn’t know for sure whether or not I would be able to attend Evangel until April of my senior year. God orchestrated several unexpected scholarships, including two from Evangel, which put me in a position to be able to say yes to EU.

How did you decide on your particular area of study?

This has certainly been an ongoing process.  I knew I wanted to work with writing/language and that I also wanted to use my talents in acting and singing, so I started off at Evangel as an English and Theatre/Music double major. Two semesters and several classes later, I am finally settling on Journalism as my major with minors in Theatre and Leadership.

Have you discovered anything that you were not expecting as an Evangel student?

I had very high expectations for Evangel, but this university has met and exceeded every one. I knew that Evangel would encourage me to grow in my faith; what I didn’t expect was the level of personal interest the faculty and fellow students take in me spiritually (in a good way).

What are the benefits of attending a smaller university?

A smaller university offers the chance for a student to earn scholarships and become recognized on campus. Students attending large universities are constantly competing for scholarships and campus positions while students in smaller universities can really make an impact on campus if they so desire.

What kind of educational/service/leadership opportunities have you encountered?

I have encountered countless opportunities to serve in leadership positions on campus and to participate in campus- or community-wide service projects. I plan to take advantage of one of Evangel’s spring break service trips next year, and I have been accepted into Evangel’s Leadership Scholar program. I also serve as an event coordinator on the Honor Floor Council and have a job as a work-study in the Public Relations office.

What are your personal and career/ministry goals after college?

My personal goals include making a difference in others’ lives, whether that is through my career, volunteer opportunities, or ministry organizations. I hope to be able to travel and to obtain a career in a communication-oriented field.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

If a prospective student is searching for a university that offers a challenging academic atmosphere along with an inspiring spiritual environment, Evangel fits their expectations perfectly. In addition, even with less than one year of study under my belt, the friendships and connections I have made so far at Evangel are the best I’ve ever made.

Details and schedule for 2014 commencement events

Grad_2

“Genesis and Genetics” conference to discuss current faith-science issues

Chemistry

2