Celia Plumb: International/Multicultural Studies major, intern at human rights nonprofit organizations

March 26, 2012

As a student majoring in International/Multicultural Studies at Evangel University, Senior Celia Plumb has had a variety of opportunities to gain experience working in her chosen field — making a difference by fighting for social justice. During the summer of 2010 she interned at World Relief Headquarters in her hometown of Baltimore, Maryland, working in the Church Engagement Department and doing advocacy work.  She researched the persecution of Christians in Eastern Europe and refugee and immigration conditions and legislation. She attended Refugee Council USA meetings, immigration hearings and deportations forums in D.C., that she says broke her heart. She says the most “terrifying and exhilarating” part of her job was lobbying on behalf of the undocumented immigrant and refugee populations.

“God definitely used my time at World Relief to change my heart,” she says. “My eyes were opened to the spectrum of His love and His desires for all people. I also switched my major from Social Work to International Studies. Working for an NGO or nonprofit was added to my list of career goals. I fell in love with the atmosphere of a team working toward justice, freedom, aid and loving people.”

During the Spring 2011 semester she had an opportunity for another internship that turned into a part-time job in Kenya for the summer. Dusty Feet is a nonprofit that fights injustices like human trafficking in Kenya through sustainable development. In Kenya she was responsible for helping establish a human trafficking prevention program for girls.

Why did you choose Evangel?

Honestly, Jesus chose Evangel for me. While visiting Evangel I felt God say, “This is where I want you.” How could I say no?

Were there any obstacles you overcame in coming to Evangel?

There were a few. Evangel is about 20 hours away from home, meaning I would only see my family during Christmas and summer breaks. Finances were another huge obstacle. I had no idea how I would pay for school. God has been so faithful keeping me connected with my family and providing for my education. All I’ve had to do is trust.

What are your goals after college?

At the moment I would love to continue my education and earn a master’s degree in something along the lines of Human Rights and International Development. I would also love to help people by working at a NGO or nonprofit. No matter what twists and turns come into my life my goal is to always love God and love people.

How has Evangel’s International/Multicultural Studies program prepared you for your future career/ministry goals?

The course work and my professors have opened my eyes to the big picture while exposing my biases. Not only do I understand myself better, but I also understand the world better.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

Seriously, there is no better place to grow into the incredible person God has created you to be. If you are supposed to be here, be here. You will receive a challenging education on your passions and even your faith. As if that wasn’t enough, you will make life-long and life-changing friendships here. It has been the relationships I’ve built at Evangel that truly make it great. Be open. People are wonderful and will pour God’s goodness into your life.

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson