Daniel Kober: Biology and Chemistry major

March 26, 2012

In the natural, Daniel Kober faced financial challenges in his pursuit of a college degree. But he held on to his faith that God would provide where He guided Daniel to go. Because of Daniel’s academic performance in high school, he received several scholarship offers from various schools, including Evangel University. After weighing all the options before him, the Menasha, Wisconsin native chose Evangel. “It was the only choice I felt comfortable with, and I haven’t had regrets,” he says. Daniel is now a senior and thriving academically, socially and spiritually at Evangel, preparing to graduate with degrees in Biology and Chemistry and pursue his dreams in the field of immunology. 

Why did you choose Evangel?

It was a combination of several things: a Christian environment, strong academics, friends I met during the weekend I visited and professors I met. I had a couple good offers from other schools as well; but when it came down to it, Evangel was the only choice I felt comfortable with. I haven’t had regrets.

Did you visit Evangel’s campus before you enrolled?

I came down during the spring of my senior year for scholarship interviews and got to see the campus for a day. It was probably one of the biggest influences in my choosing Evangel.

Did you receive financial aid?

Yes. I was blessed to receive the Founder’s Scholarship along with several departmental scholarships and federal financial aid. It really was an orchestration by God that made Evangel more affordable than local state schools.

Were there any obstacles you overcame in coming to Evangel?

Finances were an issue. If it were not for the scholarships and other financial aid I could not have come.

How did you decide on your particular area of study?

It was definitely a trial and error process. I actually started out as a Chemistry Education major, but my first year I was able to take classes ranging from Music Theory to Biology, and I fell more in love with advanced science. After that, I considered going to med school; but after shadowing some doctors, I realized that was not where I was supposed to be. After taking Immunology with Dr. Dale Scheusner, I want to pursue doctoral work in that field.

What are the benefits of attending a smaller university?

The biggest advantage is the personal connections you make with other students and the professors. Instead of having large classes where it is hard to connect with other students, you have small classes with many of the same people. That makes it easy to form study groups – which I think are the best way to learn. Getting to know the professors is huge. I feel like I know the professors in my department on a personal level, and that is invaluable in a learning process. When the professors know you, they can personalize the class and get direct feedback from the students on what they need. I have even had Facebook chats with professors and other students about classes.

How has Evangel’s Science & Technology Department prepared you for your future career?

What I love is talking to professors about their careers. Many of them have worked in the field before coming to teach, and they all bring a great diversity and life lessons. By this means, much of what I have learned has been outside of the textbooks.

What kind of educational/service/leadership opportunities have you encountered?

I am the lab assistant for genetics and microbiology in the Science and Technology Department. Additionally, last year I was honored to serve as president for the Sigma Zeta Science and Technology Honor Society. In the student government, I serve as the Sci-Tech department senator. Also, I have been a Teen Bible Quiz coach for James River Assembly of God for the past three years. It has been a great way to give back to a program that shaped me so much.

What are your personal and career/ministry goals after college?

I am planning to pursue a doctorate in immunology. I am undecided about whether I want a research faculty or industry position after that. Someday I would love to come back to Evangel or another small college and inspire students much like I have been inspired here.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

It is a great environment and really will give you a platform to pursue your dreams – no matter what they are. Evangel gives a focus on teaching students to serve God with your all in whatever area you are called.

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson