Jonathan Jones: Film major and versatile videographer

March 26, 2012

Jonathan Jones has taken his childhood passion for home video recording and is now developing a career path in the film industry. The Mt. Holly Springs, Pennsylvania native and current film major is actively serving in the local church, making promotional videos and running a camera during Sunday morning service. A member of the class of 2014, Jonathan is excited to see where God leads him. Whether he ends up producing promo videos for missionaries or working in Hollywood, Jonathan will use his skills and abilities for the glory of Christ.

Why did you choose Evangel?

I chose Evangel University because it felt right to come here. I had visited other schools and seen other programs, but I only ever had a peace about coming to Evangel. I feel that was the Holy Spirit directing me.

Did you visit Evangel’s campus before you arrived on campus as a student?

Yes, I went to a spring EU:24. I would recommend it; though nothing really prepares you for college 100 percent, EU:24 gives you a good idea of what to expect when you come to Evangel.

Did you receive financial aid?

You betcha. I received financial aid from Evangel and from local stuff back home.

Were there any obstacles you overcame in coming to Evangel?

The biggest obstacle was leaving central Pennsylvania to come all the way to Southwest Missouri. I had grown up there my whole life and I would be leaving everything behind. I would say 90 percent of my graduating class was staying pretty close to home, so when I said I was going to Missouri for college, I got a few weird looks.

How did you decide on your particular area of study?

When I was younger I wanted a video camera to make my own movies. One Christmas, Santa brought me one and I haven’t stopped making movies since. I began attending our Assemblies of God youth events where they offered opportunities for students to help serve with media. What started as operating a camera during service soon grew into several internships and eventually being employed by the PennDel District to create promotional videos. As this process unfolded, God showed me my strengths and they led me to Evangel’s film program. I wouldn’t be at Evangel University today if it wasn’t for Doug Sayers, my district youth director and Nicholas Palomo, my personal mentor and friend.

What are the benefits of attending a smaller university?

One benefit is the relationships that you form while you’re here. The campus is small enough that you can maintain friendships easily. Everyone forms a close group of friends they’re comfortable in, and the campus is small enough to recognize faces as the semester wears on. Before you know it, you’re friends with a lot of people.

How is Evangel’s Film program preparing you for your future career?

The basic classes I’ve taken so far have given me a good idea of what lies beyond the veil of college life. I’m really looking forward to taking the higher-level classes and learning more.

What kind of educational/service/leadership opportunities have you encountered?

I’ve encountered many opportunities here. The Communication Department offers its own scholarships and goes on a few trips a year — including the NAB (National Association of Broadcasting) Convention and a Los Angeles film festival. Currently, I serve at a local church, James River Assembly of God, making promotional videos and running a camera during Sunday morning service.

What are your personal and career/ministry goals after college?

At the moment, I’m open to whatever God has in store for me, but I really have a vision for assisting missionaries. I would love to be able to make videos for them so they have something of quality to show churches when they return to the states. I could also see myself ending up in Hollywood or making music videos.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

Evangel University is a great option because it provides a place to grow spiritually and socially while pursuing your dreams in a positive environment. With all the opportunities offered from the university and the surrounding area, it’s more than possible to get a jumpstart on your dreams.

Details and schedule for 2014 commencement events

Grad_2

“Genesis and Genetics” conference to discuss current faith-science issues

Chemistry

2