Tommy Meyer: Government, Business Management major and football star

March 26, 2012

Tommy Meyer came to Evangel to play football, but almost immediately he realized that his coaches’ contagious passion for the sport was not the only reason he would remain at Evangel. He fell in love with the Christ-centeredness of Evangel’s classes, personal convictions and overall academic design. As a sophomore double-majoring in Government and Business Management, Meyer has sharpened his study and time-management skills, allowing him not only to excel on the field but also in the classroom. He has been honored for two years running as the HAAC Conference football player at running back as a true freshman and sophomore.

In the midst of his many academic and athletic achievements, the West Plains, Missouri native aspires to be an advocate for social reform in the U.S. government. “I often hear people talk about how the government is not doing its job,” Meyer says. “So I decided to try and take matters into my own hands and join some level of government with hopes to change things for the better.”

He is thankful for the many opportunities Evangel has provided for him to strengthen his academic and athletic abilities while building relationships with faculty and peers that will last a lifetime.

Why did you choose to come to Evangel?

At first, the main reason I came to Evangel was to play football. But I soon realized that Evangel was the right fit for me, whether I played football or not. I also liked the atmosphere it created with the combination of Christian values and academics.

Did you visit Evangel before becoming a student?

I visited once in the summer on a football recruiting trip. It only took one visit to EU to get me hooked on coming here.

Did you receive financial aid?

I have received a football scholarship along with the EU Honor Scholarship.

Were there any obstacles you overcame in coming to Evangel?

One obstacle I overcame was figuring out if I really wanted to play college football. I was not heavily recruited coming out of high school, so I almost lost the passion to play. But coming here, seeing the campus and talking to the players and coaching staff won me over instantly.

How did you decide on your particular area of study?

I have always been drawn to history and politics. I often hear people talk about how the government is not doing its job, so I decided to try and take matters into my own hands and join some level of government with hopes to change things for the better.

What are the benefits of attending a smaller university?

There are tons! The teachers know you personally and develop great relationships with you. They also can give you help individually and will go out of their way to help you in anything you need, even if it has nothing to do with school.You also get to know the majority of the students on some level, which can create lifelong friendships.

How has Evangel’s Government program prepared you for your future career?

The Government program has great teachers who have all had experience and knowledge in government, and they do an amazing job teaching you how to handle situations. They give us real-world situations and knowledge regarding how to figure out those situations for ourselves. They also do a great job integrating faith and biblical principles into government.

How do you balance your football and academic obligations, managing to keep both your GPA and football performance at such a high standard?

Time management. I have to use my time wisely because I always have to stay in shape for football, which requires running, lifting and practice. This means early mornings and late nights sometimes. But, I know there is life after football; this thought drives me to get a degree so I can have a career after football. Football and academics also go hand in hand. I need to keep my grades up so I can keep my football scholarship and be eligible to play. I also must keep my performance up so I can retain that same football scholarship and excel on the football field.

Why did you choose to play football for Evangel?

The coaching staff won me over instantly. Coach Illum and the rest of the coaching staff all have such a passion for the game that it just made me realize this is the place I want to be.  Another reason is because of the guys on the team. After meeting a few of them, they made me feel like part of a family.

What kind of educational/service/leadership opportunities have you encountered?

I have been an academic tutor in the Academic Support Center for almost a year now, tutoring social science, business and study skills. I have also volunteered some time at Convoy of Hope with the football team loading food. Also, I have been nominated team captain of previous football teams.

What are your personal and career/ministry goals after college?

I am still open to suggestions! I do plan on obtaining a master’s degree to further my education. Ideally, I would like to go into government, but you never know what career God has in store.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

Evangel has it all — a Christian atmosphere that further develops your personal walk with God, a top-tier academic program that will prepare you for any career you wish to enter, and a place to make lifelong friends and have an amazing college experience.