Dr. Duane Praschan: Assistant professor of Business & Leadership and MOL program coordinator

January 31, 2013

Dr. Duane C. Praschan is assistant professor of Business & Leadership and coordinator of Master of Organizational Leadership (MOL) Program.  Prior to joining the Business Department, Dr. Praschan served as an executive with responsibility for Quality Management Systems, Compliance and Regulatory Affairs.  During the 27 years at Philips Healthcare, he conducted audits, ensured global product registration, managed clinical trials, developed and implemented mentoring/training programs, oversight of project and significant change management initiatives, and had oversight of Quality Management Systems for 30 global locations.

Dr. Praschan is an ordained minister (1982) with the Assemblies of God, having 30 years of pastoral experience with the last 27 years in a bi-vocational role.  His work and ministry have allowed him to travel to more than 30 countries, leading short-term mission’s trips in three continents and teaching/preaching internationally at schools and churches.  He has also consulted for various organizations and conducted training on business principles in China, Argentina and France.

Dr. Praschan and his wife, Judy, have three sons – all graduates of Evangel.

How did you get your start in the business world?

After getting my undergrad degree in Chemical Engineering, I was called into full-time church work.  In 1985 I took a U.S. Home Missions assignment with the Assemblies of God and in order to feed my family took a part-time job with Philips.  It was being bi-vocational that I saw God using all my gifts in a way I could never have imagined.  I found that having a pastor’s heart and focusing on business concepts fulfilled me.

What brought you to Evangel?

I was visiting my sons who graduated from Evangel and had a meeting with the coordinator of the Master of Organizational Leadership program to discuss what options may be available in 5-10 years when I retired from Philips.  I was offered the opportunity to teach Strategic Management in the MOL Program that summer (2007).

What has been the most rewarding part of your career?

I have been blessed to make a difference in people’s lives – both in the church and in the business community.  Mentoring and coaching high potentials/subordinates and seeing them thrive is so rewarding.

You are the coordinator of the MOL program. Tell us more about that?

The MOL program offers students who are in leadership roles within their organizations (church, business, healthcare, government, etc.) the ability to evaluate organizational effectiveness, a strong people focus, projects that benefit one’s organization immediately, enhanced strategic thinking and a holistic approach to leadership focusing on knowledge, skills and values.

What do you enjoy most about teaching at Evangel?

Ability to invest in students by sharing my insights/experiences and bring a holistic perspective to the subjective matter.  Evangel allows me to wear many hats – pastoral, educator and business.

What advice do you have for prospective students who are considering Evangel?

Getting a degree or minor in business provides a broad range of insights that will serve anyone.  Most things that we do or careers that we pursue require basic skills and insights that are covered or enhanced in basic business courses.  The MOL program offers the student learning that will benefit their organization immediately, focuses on the entire organization and balances theory and practical.

What are some of your hobbies and interest?

My wife keeps asking me this question because I am a work-a-holic.  I love sports and reading.  I am trusting that with more time I will write the books I have in my head.

If you could teach your students only one thing, what would it be?

Be a person of integrity.  I have worked with many different cultures and types of organizations, but when you see integrity incredible things are possible.  Without integrity, all one’s strengths and abilities are diminished.

Register now for summer campus visits

2