Lenzie Boring: Chemistry major and softball standout

March 12, 2013

For more than a season, senior pitcher Lenzie Boring has been lighting up opponents as a key performer for Evangel’s softball program.

The Kansas native grabbed conference Pitcher of the Week honors February 26 after being recognized for the same award twice last season. Impressive, considering the junior college transfer has had just over a year to accomplish the feat.

In 2012, Boring was named HAAC Newcomer of the Year, first team all-conference, won the Gold Glove for pitchers, racked up 14 wins, threw six shutouts and even recorded a no-hitter against Missouri Valley.

Boring, already 5-1 in 2013, is looking for an encore in while pursuing her Chemistry degree with an eye toward medical school.

Catch up with Lenzie to see what life is like for a leader of the softball team, which is off to a 10-1 start.

Lenzie Boring - Evangel SoftballWhy did you choose to come to Evangel?

My junior college softball team (Allen County Community College) played exhibition games against Evangel the two years I was there. After connecting with Coach [Jerry] Breaux, my decision was set.

Did you visit Evangel before becoming a student?

Yes, I visited with the softball program and had a tour of the Science and Technology Department. I liked the class sizes, my major was offered here and I liked the campus atmosphere while I visited.

How did you decide on your particular area of study?

Ever since I was 7 I wanted to pursue a medical focus. After coming here, my major changed to Chemistry which was more in my comfort zone. Ultimately, there is nothing I’d rather do than be in a medical profession.

How has Evangel’s Chemistry program prepared you for your future career?

The classes here are challenging and have prepared me for future studies. By teaching me how to be precise and diverse in my studies, I have noticed that I am prepared for each semester by building on what I have already learned.

What are the benefits of attending a smaller university?

Being at a smaller university has really helped me stay in my comfort zone. I’ve had more one-on-one time with the professors and have been able to connect with more classmates.

How do you balance your softball and academic responsibilities, managing to keep both at a high standard?

With this being my fourth year in college athletics, I have gotten better at time management and have even been able to find some downtime in my schedule. Softball is like my job (having a scholarship to play), so I give 100 percent of my effort to the game. Academics define a college career overall, so I spend breaks, evenings and weekends trying to get ahead on homework or projects. There is a definite challenge to being able to balance both worlds.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

Evangel has a standard that I feel is different than most schools. The professors are very knowledgeable in all aspects, and learning about God while preparing for your future career is what Evangel strives for. With the programs, campus atmosphere, chapel and diverse courses, Evangel a great place to gain education and a better understanding of the path God has for you.

What are the highlights of your college experience so far?

Shutting out Missouri State last year was one of the defining points for our season. Overall, being able to study what I love and being able to play the sport that I love really makes my college experience worth it.

What are your personal and career/ministry goals after college?

After college I plan to attend medical school and specialize in pediatrics. I will be at Evangel for a year after my softball eligibility ends, so I haven’t decided on a medical program yet. Also, down the road I may be involved in coaching part-time.

Details and schedule for 2014 commencement events

Grad_2

“Genesis and Genetics” conference to discuss current faith-science issues

Chemistry

2