Dr. Geoffrey Sutton: Professor of Psychology

March 27, 2013

Originally from London, England, Dr. Geoffrey Sutton has been teaching psychology courses full-time at Evangel since 2002. Dr. Sutton, an Evangel graduate with a Ph.D. in School Psychology from the University of Missouri-Columbia, has published more than 70 articles and books. He is vice chairman of the International Board of the Christian Association for Psychological Studies and is a regular contributor to the Journal of Psychology and Christianity.

Dr. Sutton’s wide variety of hobbies ranges from playing Xbox 360 to traveling the world. He completed his first marathon in 2009, and enjoys outdoor activities such as hiking and disk golf. Dr. Sutton and his wife, Sandra, met at Evangel almost 40 years ago as students. They have one son, Nathan, who is also married, and one granddaughter.

What originally interested you in psychology?

I have always enjoyed philosophy and science. Psychological science allows me to explore my interest in human nature using scientific methods.

During your time as an Evangel student, what was the most important thing you learned?

Aside from meeting my wife, I learned how a Christian worldview can embrace the scientific study of behavior.

Did you ever imagine you would return one day as a professor? What was that experience like?

Not until I moved to Springfield. Initially, it was surreal to walk in buildings like the library where I first met my wife or the gym where I played intramural sports. It felt pleasantly familiar, like a visit home.

What has been the most memorable moment of your career so far?

The opportunity to find that psychology can encompass two different yet compatible careers. One as a clinician and the other as a psychological scientist/professor.

What is your favorite part about teaching psychology here at Evangel?

I enjoy the opportunity to mentor students through the research process from an idea to completion and presentations at regional conferences. Of course, it is always exciting when our work is accepted for publication.

What do you think makes Evangel’s psychology program unique when compared to other universities?

The research component is well supported for a small school and because of our emphasis on the integration of faith and psychology we can study such variables as forgiveness, love, hope and humility from the perspective of both psychology and Christian theology.

What advice do you have for potential Evangel students, especially those considering a career in psychology?

Be open to the broad spectrum of psychological knowledge, which informs or adds to every field of study associated with human and animal behavior.

2