Jordan Fielding: Physical Education major and NAIA All-American basketball player

April 29, 2013

Senior Jordan Fielding is a three-time NAIA Academic All-American on the Crusader basketball team. The Springfield native’s leadership on the court this season helped the team win the Heart of America Athletic Conference championship and make it to the Sweet Sixteen in the NAIA national tournament.

During the spring, Jordan also plays on the Evangel golf team. He is following his passion for athletics in the classroom as well, majoring in Physical Education and minoring in Health.

“One thing that appeals to me about Physical Education is that you get to be around sports the rest of your life,” Jordan says. “Whether it’s basketball, bowling, badminton, bocce, archery or any other sport you can name, you get to teach and sometimes play that sport for the rest of your career.”

Why did you choose to attend Evangel?

The main reason I wanted to come to Evangel was that I had an opportunity to play basketball. I kept looking and looking at other schools, but something about Evangel was special. I kept feeling a tug on my heart to come here. I am so glad that I ended up at Evangel. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have enjoyed my time here at Evangel, and I think that this institution has readied me for my future profession and the rest of my life.

What caused you to choose your particular area of study?

When I first came to Evangel, I didn’t know what I wanted to do or be. At first my major was in Business and then in Exercise Science. Finally, I decided on Physical Education. I love kids, and I think that God has given me the leadership and communication skills necessary to be a physical educator.

How do you balance your basketball and academic responsibilities, managing to keep both at a high standard?

It can be difficult sometimes to balance a sport and school. Since coming to school here at Evangel, I have had to improve my time management skills. That is a key to being successful at both academics and sports. Along with that, it is important to prioritize correctly. It’s hard saying no to a late night food run when you are starving, but you need to study.

What is the best thing about Evangel’s Kinesiology Department?

There are a lot of things about the Kinesiology Department that are great. The first thing is the students in the department. All the students in the department are fun to be around and are very helpful. I couldn’t tell you how many times someone has helped me with a class or lesson plan when I needed it. Another thing that is great about the Kinesiology Department is the professors. You will not find a more knowledgeable, helpful or hard-working group of individuals on campus. They are amazing at what they do, and they care about each student individually.

What extracurricular activities are you involved in?

I am involved in basketball and golf here at Evangel. I love playing for both teams, and the friends that I have made from those teams will be lifelong ones. I also referee and play intramurals. They are a fun way to be active and competitive with people on your floor and around campus.

What are your goals for after Evangel?

I have a lot of goals for after I leave Evangel. First is to get a teaching job. I love students and teaching, and I can’t wait to start my teaching career. Another goal I have, which is completely secondary to getting a teaching job, is getting a coaching job. I want to coach, but I want to teach more. Along with this I also want to get my master’s at some point down the road, and there is a good possibility that it might be at Evangel.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

Evangel is so much more than just a school. It’s a community of people who care about you and your success. You will form friendships here that will last a lifetime. You are not a number at this school. You are individual who has needs and who is cared for. Along with this, what could be better than a faith-based school that helps you not become just a better student, but a better person as well?

Do you live on campus? How has that added to your experience here?

I have lived on campus four out of my five years here at Evangel. I would definitely recommend living on campus because you meet so many new people while living on campus, and that is where you form those lasting relationships. Plus, it helps you kind of see what living on your own might be like. I like it a lot and I would recommend it to any student.

Details and schedule for 2014 commencement events

Grad_2

“Genesis and Genetics” conference to discuss current faith-science issues

Chemistry

2