Jeremy Arnold: Intercultural Studies major with a heart for missions

May 2, 2013

Jeremy Arnold has a passion for reaching the world for Christ. The sophomore from Charleston, West Virginia, is double-majoring in Intercultural Studies and Nonprofit Business and Social Enterprise, with minors in French and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). He is also an EU Host.

“I want to be one of those people, with the help of God, who makes the world a little bit better,” Arnold says. “I feel a strong calling on my life to be a missionary and serve others.”

Jeremy’s hobbies including cooking and eating, which he says goes hand-in-hand. In fact, he says that for a while he wanted to become a chef.

He also loves being outdoors and exploring nature. He says, “Forests, mountains and all terrains are an opportunity to get lost in the rugged beauty of our world.”

How did you choose to attend Evangel?

I really wanted to go to a Christian university, but I had only heard horror stories about them. Then, with some convincing by my aunt, I attended an Assemblies of God college fair in Ohio. I learned about Evangel and told my aunt that day that I would attend here. I really felt right about that decision and never applied to any other school. Now, four years later, everything has worked out. The whole process was really a test of faith. I come from a low-income family, so paying the price of a private school was, for the longest time, not an option. God has moved every obstacle, and I am very thankful.

Did you visit campus prior to moving in? How did that help you?

I was able to visit campus during interviews for the Founders Scholarship. I did an overnight stay on Scott Third North, and I loved it. I bonded with several of the men on that floor and, as a result, requested to be on that floor. Visiting campus, especially when accompanied by an overnight stay, gives you an authentic taste of Evangel. It really confirmed that I was making the right decision.

What makes the environment at Evangel special?

Evangel is very connected. Staff, professors and students get to know you. It is not uncommon to walk across campus and know almost everyone you pass. As cheesy as it sounds, we’re friends here.

What is the best thing about Evangel’s Business Department?

It is very innovative. There seems to be new opportunities every day in the Business Department.

What extracurricular activities are you involved in? Tell me about the favorite thing you are or have been involved in.

I am the freshman representative and community service representative on floor council. I am also the drama coordinator of the Rain Impact Team. Ministering with the Rain Team has been the best part of my first year at Evangel. We are a group of students who love each other, love those to whom we are ministering, but most of all we love God. Being part of the team has ministered to me just as much as the team has ministered to others.

What are your goals for after Evangel?

My biggest goal in life right now is to make it to the foreign mission field. I know God has called me to this, and it excites me.

Why should a prospective student choose Evangel?

Evangel offers students a great education by living up to its motto: “unquestionably academic.” It is also devotes a lot to spiritual life. Evangel is a place to grow in all areas of your life.

How has living on campus added to your experience here?

Living on campus has helped me to connect with a number of interesting, amazing people. Evangel is full of students with awesome stories, awesome experiences, and awesome faith. It is really special to be able to be surrounded by people willing to pray with and for me. We add to each other; it’s just a part of the community that you experience when you live on campus.

Apply for free until Nov. 15

FA14_Science_Lab_006_edited

#CongratsDrTaylor: Learn more about Evangel’s fourth president

Get to know best-selling author and pastor Mark Batterson (’92)

MarkBatterson